Dungarvan Tourist Attractions
Dungarvan (Dún Garbhain, "Garvan's Fort") lies halfway along the Irish south coast in a sheltered bay at the mouth of the River Colligan, at the meeting place of the N25 and N672.The town is the administrative center of Waterford county (apart from the city of Waterford itself), and is also a busy marketing center, with leather-processing works. It lies on both banks of the River Colligan, which is spanned by a bridge (1815) with a 74ft/23m arch.
On the right bank of the Calligan river by Dungarvan are the ruins of Dungarvan Castle (built 1185 and subsequently much altered), a massive circular keep surrounded by fortified walls. Nearby are remains of the old town walls. 0.25mi/400m south, in the churchyard of the parish church, can be seen the Holed Gable, a peculiar structure with a number of circular openings, the function of which is unknown.In Abbeyside, on the left bank of the river, is a tower which belonged to a 13th C. Augustinian abbey and now serves as the belfry of the adjoining church. Nearby stands a curious shell house.
The surroundings of Dungarvan have much of interest to offer to the visitor.
To the east of Dungarvan, on the far side of the bay, lies Clonea, a popular little seaside resort with a good sandy beach, a nine-hole golf course and two campsites.
South of the town of Dungarvan (ferry service) the Cullingar Peninsula has good beaches.
South of the town of Dungarvan (ferry service), beyond the Cullingar Peninsula, is the little, old world fishing village of Ballynagaul.
South of the town of Dungarvan is Helvick Head (which can be reached also on the R674), with fine views of Dungarvan Harbor and the hills to the north. The region south of Dungarvan Harbor, between the N25 and the sea, is the only area on the east coast where Irish is still the predominant language.2.5mi/4km northwest of Dungarvan, on the N72, is a monument to the celebrated grayhound Master MacGrath, which won the Waterloo Cup three times between 1868 and 1871 and was beaten only once in 37 races.