Northern Region, Delaware Attractions
Northern Delaware has many historic attractions, museums, gardens and performing arts programs.
Historic Houses of Odessa, Odessa, Delaware
Known in the 18th C as Cantwell's Bridge, Odessa played a vital role in commercial life along the Delaware River. Odessa was the transportation hub for the wheat trade. The Historic Houses are a group of structures from the 18th and 19th C, that have been restored and furnished in period. Over 4,000 decorative arts from 1760 through 1850 are displayed in the 5 houses. Other collections on display include regional paintings, prints, textiles, silver and pewter.
The Corbit-Sharp House is an example of mid-Georgian architecture. William Corbit, who operated a tannery on the banks of the Appoquinimink Creek, was the town's leading citizen when he built this Georgian house in 1772-74. H. Rodney Sharp acquired the home in 1938. It is furnished according to documented inventory that reflect high-style 18th-century decorative arts while its grounds and garden reflect the colonial revival style.
The Brick Hotel, built in 1822, offered accommodations to merchants, ship captains, and visitors. The gallery has a collection of rare 1840-60 Rococo Revival furniture built by cabinetmaker John Henry Belter. The exterior of the Brick Hotel was restored as closely as possible to the original. The interior has been altered considerably with a few areas restored to original such as the stair hall.
Address: Box 697, Odessa, DE 19730, United States
Opening hours: Mar 1 to Dec 31: 10am-4:30pm; Sun: 1pm-4:30pm
Always closed on: American Independance Day (Jul 4), Thanksgiving - USA (4th Thursday, Nov), Christmas - Christian (Dec 25), Christmas Eve - Christian (Dec 24), Easter - Christian
Entrance fee in USD: Adult $10.00, Students $8.00, Senior $8.00, Child 5 & under FREE
Useful tips: Admission includes tours of other historic houses in Odessa.
The Collins-Sharp House dates to 1700, with its frame construction and relatively large size was quite fashionable for its time. Gardening and related activities of the colonial housekeeper are demonstrated in the kitchen garden.
Fort Delaware, Delaware City, Delaware
Fort Delaware was originally built to protect the ports of Wilmington and Philadelphia. The fort became the temporary home of 33,000 Confederate prisoners during the Civil War. Now a state park, Fort Delaware features the 1859 fort, a museum with Civil War memorabilia, nature trails and an observation tower to view nesting spots of egrets and herons.
Robinson House, Claymont, Delaware
Robinson House, built in 1723, was the residence of General Thomas Robinson, an aide to "Mad Anthony" Wayne as of 1749. George Washington's Continental Army camped nearby in 1777, and George was a frequent guest in the home.Robinson House is home to the Claymont Historical Society & The Darley Society.
Ashland Nature Center, Hockessin, Delaware
Ashland Nature Center has 4 nature preserves and numerous nature trails through 200 acres of meadow, marsh, pond and forest. The native plant garden showcases a variety of plants that provide food and shelter for wildlife. The Butterfly House provides close-up observations of butterflies in stages from eggs to adults.
Port Penn - Port Penn Interpretive Center
The Port Penn Interpretive Center is housed in an 1886 schoolhouse with exhibits that include town life, local artwork, hunting decoys, fishing, fur trapping, and community baseball. Port Penn is a 250 year old village and tours of the historic homes are available.
Mount Cuba Center, Greenville, Delaware
Mount Cuba Center is located on the former estate of Mr. and Mrs. Lammot du Pont Copeland. With over 600 acres of amazing spring and fall wildflower displays that can be explored on guided tours.
Bear - Lums Pond State Park
Middletown - Premier Centre for the Arts
Premier Center for the Arts features 14 studios, a theatre, music studios and an art gallery.