Cavan Tourist Attractions
Cavan (An Cabhan, "Hollow Place"), county town of Cavan county, lies in a pleasant district of hills and lakes near the Northern Ireland border, at the junction of the N3, coming from the southeast, with the northsouth road, the N54/N55.The town was completely destroyed by British forces in 1690. An old tower marks the site of an abbey founded about 1300, round which the original settlement grew up. Cavan is the administrative center for the county of the same name.Cavan is noted for the production of crystal.
Five mi/eight km north of Cavan is Ballyhaise, with a good 18th century Market House borne on arches and Ballyhaise Castle (by Richard Cassels, 1731), now occupied by an agricultural college.
Cootehill Bellamont Forest
Cohaw Giant's Grave
3mi/5km southeast of Cootehill on the R192 is Cohaw Giant's Grave (National Monument), a double-court cairn with five chambers excavated in 1949.
From Cavan the R192 leads to Shercock, near Lough Sillan (campsite), which is renowned for its large pike.
8mi/13km south of Sherlock, at the eastern extremity of Cavan province, is Kingscourt, where rich deposits of gypsum have led to the development of modern industries. The main street has attractive 17th and 18th C. houses. In St Mary's Parish Church are beautiful stained-glass windows by Evie Hone (1947-48).
From Kingscourt the R165 goes west through the hills to the little market town of Bailieborough, which has a Court House of 1817 and a Market House of 1818.
9mi/15km south of Bailieborough lies Virginia, named after the virgin Queen, Elizabeth I. Prettily situated on the wooded shores of Lough Ramor, it offers a wide range of sport and recreational facilities (nine-hole golf course, fishing in Lough Ramor, swimming beach, boat rental).
North of Virginia is the site of Cuilcagh House, a mansion belonging to the Sheridan family, in which Swift began to write "Gulliver's Travels."
To the south of Ballyjamesduff, on the R194, we come to the village of Mount Nugent, with good fishing in Lough Sheelin.
There is good coarse fishing in Lough Gowna, 12mi/20km south of Cavan, reached by way of Gowna, or direct from Lough Sheelin, going west.
Northwest of Cavan, past the golf course, stands Farnham House, in a lovely park.
West of Farnham House, northwest of Cavan, is Lough Oughter, an intricately patterned maze of inlets and channels through which the River Erne flows.
Killykeen Forest Park
It comprises 250 hectares of woodland and formed part of the format Farnham Estate. The main features of interest include Clough Oughter Castle, Killykeen Cottage and some archeological remains. There is an excellent coarse fishing, forest walks and nature trails.
Clough Oughter Castle
On an island in the Lough Oughter are the ruins of Clough Oughter Castle, a typical example of an Irish circular tower castle of the 13th C.Nearby at Cornafaen, is a privately run local museum.
To the south of Farnham House in Kilmore, a small cathedral town, stands a 19th C. Protestant Cathedral which incorporates a fine late Romanesque doorway. In the churchyard can be seen a richly decorated tomb of Bishop William Bedell, who made the first translation of the Bible into Irish in the 17th C. Also in the town is a well-preserved motte and bailey.
On the west side of Lough Oughter, reached from Cavan by way of Kilmore, lies Killeshandra, surrounded by small loughs, with a church of 1688.
The R201, running west from the lake district near Cavan, comes in 3mi/5km to Drumlane. Here, beautifully situated between two loughs, are a round tower and a church (National Monument), both belonging to a former monastery. The church dates from the 13th and 15th C.; the tower, still standing 45ft/14m high, with badly weathered carvings of birds, from the 12th C.
From Drumlane the R201 runs north to Belturbet, near the Northern Ireland border, starting point for cabin cruiser trips on the River Erne (good fishing). To the north, over the border, is Lough Erne.
The hilly countryside with its many loughs spreads west of Belturbet for 10-12mi/15-20km. Ballyconnell, a popular coarse-fishing center, has a 17th C. church.
From Ballyconnell, the R200 climbs steeply up into the Iron Mountains, goes over the Bellavally Gap and descends to Glengevlin, at the foot of the highest mountain in the range, Cuilcagh Mountain (2,070ft/630m).
In the Iron Mountain area near Cavan is the Shannon Pot, source of the River Shannon. This is good climbing country.