Castro Tourist Attractions
Castro, (pop. 18,000) established in 1567, is the second largest city in the Chiloé region and the main destination for most visitors in this area. The city is known for its "palafitos", houses build on stilts over the water. The other most notable sight in the city is the brightly painted Iglesia San Francisco.
The waterfront market offers a good selection of local crafts, woolen ponchos, sweaters, hats, gloves and baskets. There are also some restaurants along this area, most of which specialize in seafood.
Iglesia San Francisco de Castro
Located along the Plaza de Armas, Iglesia San Francisco is a brightly painted, salmon and lilac color church. It was designed by Eduardo Provosoli and built in 1906.
Locomotora Ancud - Castro
This German-made locomotive once serviced many of the towns between Castro and Ancud. The narrow-gage railroad was damaged in a 1960 earthquake, ending the train route.
Museo Regional de Castro
The museum houses collections on the history of the region, including Huilliche relics, agricultural equipment, and the development of Chilote urbanism. It also maintains displays of photography, ethnography, and cartography.
Museum of Modern Art
The Museum of Modern Art houses the works of Chilean artists, with a focus on Chilotes. Most of the collection, which is housed in five exhibition halls, consists of paintings.
These shingled houses stand on stilts over the water. Some have been converted into restaurants and many are in the process of being restored or preserved. They can be seen along the north end of the town and near the Río Gambia.
Held in mid-February, the Festival Costumbrista is a week long festival with musical entertainment, dancing, and various other events.
Festival de Huaso Chilote
The Festival de Huaso Chilote, held in late January, celebrates the local cowboys with a Chilean Rodeo.
More on PlanetWare