Carrick-on-Suir Tourist Attractions
Carrick-on-Suir (Carraig na Suire, "Rock of the Suir") lies near the south coast of Ireland on the River Suir. Since the river marks the boundary between Tipperary county and Waterford county, the town extends into both counties.In 1541 Henry VIII of England assumed the title of King of Ireland. Thereafter, particularly during the reign of Elizabeth I, England sought to gain control of Ireland by establishing English landowners in the country. During the 16th and 17th century these magnates built numbers of fortified Tudor mansions, the finest of which is Ormond Castle in Carrick-on-Suir.
Ormond Castle (National Monument), once the seat of the Earls of Ormond, consists of a fortified tower of 1450 and a manor house built onto it in 1568. It was built for Queen Elizabeth, but the Queen seems never to have lived in it. It is a typically Elizabethan house: externally a long front with gables and dwarf gables; in the interior a large hall and a gallery extending almost the whole length of the building, decorated with stucco likenesses of the Queen and members of the Ormond family. From the tower there is a magnificent view of the river and the surrounding countryside.In the center of the town, near the medieval bridge, stands the old Tholsel (Town Hall), originally a town gate, topped by a clock-tower.The Castle contains the finest Tudor plasterwork in Ireland.
Address: Castle Park, Ireland
Opening hours: Jun 15 to Sep 1: 9:30am-6:30pm
Entrance fee in EUR: Family €7.00, Adult €2.75, Senior €2.00, Group discounts €2.00, Child €1.25
Useful tips: Last admission 45 minutes before closing. Access by guided tour only.
Guides: Guided tour included with admission.
North of Carrick-on-Suir, on the boundary between Kilkenny county and Tipperary county, are two places with notable high crosses, Kilkeeran (5mi/8km) and Ahenny (6mi/10km).Of the three crosses in the churchyard of Kilkeeran the West Cross (ninth century) is particularly fine. On the east side of the base are eight horsemen, on the other sides interlace work and geometric patterns. The lower part of the shaft is divided into panels with various patterns, among them intertwined goose-like creatures.
Ahenny North Cross
North of Carrick-on-Suir, on the boundary between Kilkenny county and Tipperary county, are two places with notable high crosses, Kilkeeran (5mi/8km) and Ahenny (6mi/10km).In the churchyard of Ahenny are two particularly fine crosses (both National Monuments), with figural decoration only on the bases. The North Cross has figures of monks carrying crosses, a headless man on a pony, other horsemen and horses, a procession of seven ecclesiastics carrying crosiers and various animals. The base of the South Cross is badly weathered.The crosses themselves are covered with finely carved geometric designs (spirals, interlace work, rosettes). The patterns are so similar to those in "The Book of Kells" that they are assumed to date from the eighth century.
Comeragh Mountains (Monavullagh Mountains)
Southwest of Carrick-on-Suir the Comeragh Mountains and Monavullagh Mountains extend towards the sea. This is good climbing country, particularly around little Lough Coumshinghaum, which is surrounded by a horseshoe-shaped line of cliffs rising to the highest peak (2,560ft/780m).