Cagnes-sur-Mer Tourist Attractions
Cagnes-sur-MerCagnes-sur-Mer, which consists of several sections, is situated about 12km/7mi west of Nice on the far side of the River Var which flows into the Mediterranean at this point.Cagnes-sur-Mer is noted as the final retreat for the painter Pierre-Auguste Renoir, who moved here to find relief for his arthritis. His estate, Les Collettes, is surrounded by olive trees and a point of interest for visitors.
Inland from Cagnes-sur-Mer on a conical hill lies the picturesque old village of Haut-de-Cagnes, with narrow little streets and houses built close together within the enclosing walls. It is overlooked by the 14th C. former Château Grimaldi. The castle was taken over in 1536 and rebuilt at the beginning of the 17th C. Since 1939 it has been owned by the town and furnished as a museum, the Musée Ethnographique d'Olivier, Musée d'Art Méditerranée Moderne and Musée Renoir de Souvenir, with an ethnographical collection, information about olive-growing, works by Chagall, Matisse, Renoir etc. There is an extensive view from the tower.
Chapel of Notre-Dame-de-la-Protection
On the way towards the center of the old village stands the Chapel of Notre-Dame-de-la-Protection, with fine 16th C. frescoes not discovered until 1936, and "Maison Les Colettes", the house in which Renoir (1841-1919) lived and died, a good example of Provençal architecture.
Cagnes-sue-Mer - Grimaldi Castle and Museum
Grimaldi Castle and Museum is home to a collection of Archaeology, modern art from the mediterranean, and the museum of the olive tree.
Musée Renoir is the house where Renoir resided during the last years of his life. Exhibits include 10 original paintings and his personal possessions.
Address: Chemin des Collettes, F-06600 Cagnes-sur-mer, France
Cagnes sur Mer - Cros-de-Cagnes
The old fishing port of Cros-de-Cagnes, about 2km/1mi south of the old village at the mouth of the Cagne, is now a large seaside resort and yacht harbor.
La Colle-sur-Loup, France
La Colle-sur-Loup , which is popular with artists, lies 6km/4mi northwest of Cagnes, amid the fertile foothills of Vence, the scene of flower-growing. Of interest are the restored 12th C. church and chapel dating from the same period, formerly owned by the monks of Lérins. Nearby stands the Château Le Gaudelet of King François I.
Situated 3km/2mi southwest of Cagnes, Villeneuve-Loubet, originally a farming village and standing some 2km/1mi from the coast high up on the left bank of the Loup, has a castle, built originally in the 12th C., with a 30m/98ft high defensive tower; the castle is not open to the public.In the house where the famous chef Escoffier (1846-1935) was born there is a Museum of Cuisine, displaying culinary objects of the 14th to 20th C.
Cagnes - Marina Baie des Anges
A chain of hills some 50m/165ft high separates the old part of the village from the coastal settlement which was begun in 1930. Here gigantic houses built in pyramids and the newly created Marina-Baie-des-Anges characterize the landscape.
popular right now