Baden, Switzerland Tourist Attractions
The health resort of Baden has long been an important market town. The picturesque old town, the core of the medieval settlement, lies in the Limmat defile under the Lägern hills; downstream is the spa, with its 19 sulfur springs (48°C/118°F), already used for medicinal purposes in Roman times. To the west of the spa, where the valley opens out, are the newer parts of the town, with large industrial plants, (Brown-Boveri). Known to the Romans as Aquae Helvetiae, Baden became in the Middle Ages the country's leading curative resort, the hot sulfurous water (1,000 cu. m/35,310 cu. ft daily) being piped up from a great depth. The town's central situation and its political activity made it a place of importance in the old Confederation, and the Diet frequently met here. The first hydroelectric power station was brought into operation in Baden in 1892.
Brown Art Collection
The Brown Art Collection opened in 1990 in the Villa Langmatt (Römerstrasse). Around the turn of the century Sidney and Jenny Brown began to compile a comprehensive collection of paintings of English artists, the Munich school and French impressionists. The last surviving member of the family, John A. Brown, left the house and collection to the town of Baden on his death in 1987. The collection includes works by Cézanne, Gauguin, Monet, Degas, Sisley, Bonnard, Van Gogh and Renoir.
At the entrance to Baden's fine old town, to the north, stands the 15th century Bruggerturm (54m/177ft high).
Roman Catholic Church
A little way southeast of the Bruggerturm in Baden's old town is the Roman Catholic parish church (built 1457-70, remodeled in Baroque style in 1612-98 and in Neo-classical style in 1813-29.
Baden's Stadthaus (Town Hall) faces the Roman Catholich church in the old town. It contains the Council Chamber (reconstructed in 1497) in which the Diet met between 1424 and 1712.
Swiss Children's Museum
The Swiss Children's Museum, situated about three minutes from the Baden station, gives an insight into the history and manufacture of toys.
A covered wooden bridge (1810) leads across the Limmat to the Landvogteischloss (rebuilt 1487-89), the old governor's residence, which now houses the Baden Historical Museum.
Castle of Stein
On a crag to the west of Baden's old town (road and rail tunnel) is the ruined castle of Stein, formerly a Habsburg seat.
Kappelerhof Power Station
At Kappelerhof power station a small technical museum has impressive exhibits from the pioneering age of electricity production.
The spa is beautifully laid out with gardens, and has a Kursaal, with restaurant, inhalatorium (establishment where sulfur vapor can be inhaled) and an indoor thermal swimming pool. A high-level bridge crosses the Limmat to Ennetbaden (alt. 358m/1,175ft; pop. 2,900), on the right bank.
Church Treasure Museum
Small Technical Museum
Map of Baden Attractions