Follow Us:

National Parks

Botany Bay National Park

Botany Bay National Park extends over the two tongues of land enclosing the bay, protecting the coast from Little Bay to La Pérouse and the Kurnell peninsula. The old cable station was converted in 1987 into a museum commemorating the French discoverer La Pérouse, who was in Botany Bay at the same time as Captain Arthur Phillip and was shipwrecked on his homeward voyage.
Within the national park are the beaches in Congwong Bay, Captain Cook's landing place at Kurnell (with picnic areas and a museum devoted to Cook's voyages) and the coastal fortifications of around 1880 (Henry Head, Bare Island). Botany Bay was given its name by Joseph Banks, the botanist who accompanied Cook on his voyage and found numerous new species of plants here.
Address: Laperouse Visitor Centre, Cable Station Building, Anzac Parade, La Perouse, NSW 2036, Australia

Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park

Aerial view over Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park.
14,700ha.
The park gets its name from the Gurringai tribe who lived in this area. This area of much eroded Hawkesbury sandstone is bounded on the north by the lower course of the Hawkesbury River and its estuary, Broken Bay. The sandstone plateau, dissected by an intricate network of submerged valleys (Cowan Water, Pittwater), has 112km of shoreline, with ideal conditions for water sports. Rich flora and fauna; Aboriginal rock paintings and drawings.
A number of walking trails have been laid out in the Bobbin Head and West Head areas.

Royal National Park

Sydney's Royal National Park is located to the South of Port Hacking. A scenic park with the Hacking River flowing through it, the Royal National Park offers walking trails, campsites, quaint picnic spots and viewpoints.

Sydney Harbour National Park

388ha.
The Sydney Harbour National Park has been developed in stages since 1975. It takes in the promontories and islands round the entrance to the harbor, parts of North Head, South Head, Dobroyd Head, Grotto Point, Georges Head, Bradleys Head, Nielson Park and Rodd Island, opening up all these areas to the public. The 19th C fortifications and quarantine station can also be visited.
Address: Box N501, Grosvenor Place, NSW 1220, Australia
More on PlanetWare