To the east of Zurich rises the Zürichberg (679 m/2,228ft), a wooded hill with houses reaching far up its slopes and a number of restaurants commanding extensive views.
From the Central Station and the Paradeplatz there are tram services to the Zoo, one of the finest in Europe (opened 1929), with more than 2,000 animals.
Address: Zürichbergstrasse 221, CH-8044 Zürich, Switzerland
Opening hours: Mar 1 to Oct 31: 8am-6pm
Nov 1 to Feb 28: 8am-5pm
Nov 1 to Feb 28: 8am-5pm
Always opened on: January 2nd Holiday - Switzerland (Jan 2), Swiss National Day (Aug 1)
Entrance fee in CHF: Adult CHF16.00, Senior CHF14.00, Child 6-16 CHF8.00
Facilities: Gift shop, Restaurant or food service
James Joyce's Grave
Near the Zurich zoo are various sports facilities and the Fluntern Cemetery, with the grave of the Irish writer James Joyce (1882-1949).
From the Römerhofplatz a funicular 1,328 m/1,453yd long serves the Waldhaus Dolder (548 m/1,798ft), a hotel from which it is possible to continue on foot to the Dolder Grand Hotel, the golf course, the artificial ice rink and the swimming pool with wave-making equipment.
From the Winterthurerstrasse in Zurich a short funicular ascends to the Rigiblick (586 m/1,923ft; view of the Rigi).
Uetliberg (Uetlibergbahn, Sihltalbahn)
To the southwest of Zurich rises the Uetliberg (871 m/2,858ft) the most northerly summit in the Albis ridge. The Uetlibergbahn, a mountain railroad, runs from Selnau station to the upper station at 816 m/2,677ft, from which it is a 10-minute walk to the summit (restaurant). In clear weather there is a superb view from the lookout tower over the Vallais, Bernese and Glarus Alps, with the Black Forest to the north and the Säntis to the east. From here there is an easy ridge walk of just over one hour to the Felsenegg (790 m/2,592ft), from which a cableway descends to Adliswil. The return to Zurich is by the Sihltalbahn (Zürich-Selnau to Sihlbrugg).
From the Stadelhofen station in Zurich another electric railroad, the Forchbahn, runs southeast via Forch to Esslingen in the Zurich Oberland. There are many marked trails in the countryside around Forch.
This Zurich Airport is among the largest in Europe. It is connected by rail to the main downtown railroad station.
West of Zurich, to the south of the Berne highway, are two small industrial towns, now part of the city. 8km/5mi west is Schlieren (pop. 12,500), with factories making trucks and elevators, and 12km/7mi west is Dietikon (pop. 25,000).
Dietikon - Local Museum
Local Museum, Wallisellen
Wallisellen Local Museum is housed in one of the oldest houses in Wallisellen. There are 15 rooms covering a cross-section of history.
Local Museum, Unterengstringen
The museum in Unterengstringen has local history displays.
18km/11mi northwest of Zurich, on an eastern spur of the Lägern hills lies Regensberg (612 m/2,008ft; pop. 500), one of the best preserved medieval towns in the country which was founded about 1245 by the Barons of Regensberg. The round tower (21 m/69ft high) of the old 16th-17th C. castle and the 57 m-/187ft-deep draw-well (the deepest in the country) in the upper ward date from the time of its building. The church, originally 13th C., was rebuilt in 1506. Among the carefully restored old burghers' houses the half-timbered "Rote Rose" house (1540), with the Rose Museum of the painter Lotte Günthard, is particularly notable.
Local Museum, Oberweningen
The Local Museum in Oberweningen is a farmhouse divided into three areas - kitchen, living room and bed chamber. Agricultural equipment, costumes and uniforms, and antiquities are also displayed.
The sleepy old town of Greifensee (437 m/1,434ft; pop. 5,500) lies 15km/ 9mi east of Zurich on the northeastern shore of the lake of the same name (area 8.6 sq. km/3 sq. mi; depth 34 m/112ft; nature reserve). The castle was once the seat of the provincial governor Salomon Landolt. The church (ca. 1330), in High Gothic style, has an unusual triangular plan. Trips on the Greifensee can be made in the motor ship "Heimat" or in the steamship "Greif" which was restored in the mid 1980s. About 5km/3mi southeast of Greifensee is the town of Uster (pop. 23,000).
Libiger Collection, Maur
The Herrliberger collection contains prints and publishing works of the Zurich Kupferstechers and book publisher David Herrliberger. Paintings and portraits of Colonel Landolt Salomon are also exhibited at this museum in Maur. The basement of the museum contains a copper Stecher workshop with copper roller printing press.
Andelfingen is a small village with an annual two-day festival that takes place in late September or early-October.
Local and Dwelling Museum, Marthalen
The village of Marthalen is located in the canton of Zurich. The Local and Dwelling Museum houses domestic and agricultural equipment as well as ploughs, sleds, and wagons.
Map of Zurich Attractions