Chaliang, situated about 21/2 km (11/2 mi.) downstream from Si Satchanalai on a bow of the Menam Yom, was an old Khmer town; the Phra That, a Khmer temple and predecessor of the Wat Phra Si Ratana Mahathat, was built where the bow is at its narrowest, and so was only accessible by land on one side. An inscription, commissioned in 1292 by King Ramkhamhaeng, states that in 1285 the king had relics excavated from the old Khmer prang (assumed to be the Wat Chang Lom) and removed to a new chedi in the Wat Chang Lom, built in six years for this purpose. Following their transfer he dedicated one month and six days to their worship.The beautiful chedi, still standing today, with its ornate stepped base is of early 15th c. origin (early Ayutthaya style). It is possible, however, that this chedi constitutes the last ruins of the prang built by King Ramkhamhaeng.The figure of the seated Buddha on the north side of the prang has been extensively restored. The lower floor was once surrounded by a covered gallery, from which parts of the wall and window slits remain. On the west side of the prang are the remains of a small temple with a bronze footprint of Buddha.In a small niche close by can be seen an exquisite stone sculpture, which depicts Buddha shielded by a naga. The nine-headed snake is artistically decorated; the high relief of the stepping Buddha in a relaxed position is among the most beautiful carvings of the Sukhothai period. The stucco relief dates from the rule of King Ramkhamhaeng and is situated in the small temple to the east of the prang, where there is another standing Buddha.