AlcazarOn the southeast side of the Plaza del Triunfo in Seville stands the Alcázar, the stronghold of the Moorish and later of the Christian kings. The present structure, still with the aspect of a medieval fortress, was built by Moorish architects in the second half of the 14th century, in the reign of Pedro the Cruel. The entrance leads into the Patio de las Banderas, planted with orange-trees, and through the Jardín del Crucero into the Patio de la Montería, the Court of the Royal Bodyguard, on the south side of which is the richly articulated main front of the Alcázar proper.
Official site: www.patronato-alcazarsevilla.es
Address: Plaza del Triunfo, Spain
Court of the Maids of Honor
The Alcázar in Seville is entered through the Puerta Principal, from which a narrow passage to the left leads into the Patio de las Doncellas, built between 1369 and 1379, with magnificent cusped arches and open arabesque work above, borne on 52 marble columns; the glazed gallery was added in the 16th century.
Alcazar - Ground Floor
On the north side of the Patio de las Doncellas the Salón de Carlos V has a beautiful coffered ceiling, and adjoining this are the apartments of María de Padilla, Pedro the Cruel's favorite, and the long Dining Room (Comedor).
Alcázar - Hall of the Ambassadors
The Dining Room leads into the Salón de Embajadore, the oldest room in the Alcázar of Seville, with a superb cedarwood stalactitic dome (1420), inscriptions in Arabic script and decorative friezes.
Court of the Dolls
From the Salón de Embajadores in Seville, passing through Philip II's Bedchamber, we come into the little Moorish Patio de las Muñecas, the inner courtyard of the private apartments.
Alcázar - Dormitorio de Isabel la Católica
To the left of the Patio de las Muñecas at Seville's Seville is the Dormitorio de Isabel la Católica, the Queen's Bedchamber, preceded by the Salón del Príncipe.
Alcázar - Dormitorio de los Reyes Moros
To the right of the Dormitorio de Isabel la Católica is the beautifully tiled Dormitorio de los Reyes Moros, the Bedchamber of the Moorish Kings in Seville's Alcázar.
Alcazar - Upper Floor
From the Patio de la Montería a magnificent staircase leads to the upper floor, on which are the apartments of the Catholic Monarchs. Particularly fine is the Chapel Royal, with an azulejo-clad altar by Nicoloso Pisano.
Alcazar - Apartments of Charles V
To the left of the Patio de la Montería in Seville, through the Jardín del Crucero, are the Apartments of Charles V. The private chapel is richly decorated with azulejos; the other rooms are hung with Flemish tapestries of the 16th-18th centuries, the most interesting of which are those depicting the conquest of Tunis.
Alcazar - Gardens
The gardens of the Alcázar in Granada, laid out by Charles V, are divided into two by a rocaille wall. Their most notable features are an underground bathhouse and the Pabellón de Carlos V (1540).
Alcázar - El Naranjal
The Renaissance garden of the Alcázar in Seville, called El Naranjal, was redesigned for the Emporer Carlos V's wedding.
The Renaissance garden at the Alcazar, called Grande, was designed during the time of Don Pedro, El Cruel.
Alcázar - La Galera
The Arabian desert of La Galera is found near the palace walls.
Alcázar - La Gruta
La Gruta lies among the famous garden areas of the Alcazar in Seville.
Near the Alcázar
Barrio de Santa Cruz
To the east of the Alcázar lies the picturesque Barrio de Santa Cruz, which in Arab times was the Jewish quarter (Judería). It is now a district of flower-decked squares and streets, with many attractive patios.
Asilo de Venerables Sacerdotes
The Asilo de Venerables Sacerdotes in Seville, a hospice for aged priests, contains a number of fine works of art, including frescoes by Valdés Leal in the chapel, an ivory figure of Christ by Alonso Cano and works by Rubens and Roelas.
Address: Plaza de los Venerables 8, E-41004 Seville, Spain
East from the Seville Cathedral is Casa Murillo, a house which is believed to have been occupied by the painter Bartolomé Esteban Murillo.
Santa María la Blanca
East of the Seville Cathedral is the church of Santa María la Blanca, which until 1391 was a synagogue. The dome has a painting of 1659.