South Uist Attractions Uibhist a Deas
South Uist (pop. 3,000) is the second-largest island in the Outer Hebrides.
Mingulay, Berneray & Pabbay
The islands were made a Site of Special Scientific Interest in 1983 for the maritime vegetation, rock shore and cliff habitats as well as for the seabird population. Breeding species include seabirds, particularly razorbill, guillemot, fulmar, kittiwake and shag. All the islands have significant archaeological sites, with several designated Scheduled Ancient Monuments, including the village area on Mingulay.
The main town of South Uist is Lochboisdale (pop. 300) where in the summer the harbor receives ferries from Oban.
Our Lady of the Isles Monument
A good road runs from north Uist to south Uist. One of the first landmarks is Reuval Hill with its 33ft/10m high Madonna which was designed by Hew Lorimer in 1930.
Loch Druidibeg - Bird Reserve
Loch Druidibeg Bird Reserve lies at the foot of the Reuval Hill.
Flora MacDonald's Birthplace
A popular destination is the house near Askernish where Flora MacDonald was born. She is best known for her bravery in helping "Bonnie Prince Charlie" to escape from the English in 1746. A memorial to the courageous heroine stands in the ruined cottage.
Car ferries sail from Oban and Lochboisdale (South Uist). There is also a passenger ferry from Ludag (South Uist). During low tide planes land at the airport on Cockle Beach (Tràigh MhÓr). Anglers head for the trout-rich lochs that lie at the foot of Ben Heaval (1,260ft/384m).
Useful tips: MacBrayne Oban-Castlebay (Barra)/Lochboisdale (South Uist), 1/2 daily, 5h5m/5-7h, Caledonian MacBrayne Ludag (South Uist)-Eoligarry (Barra), 2 a day, 40m, passenger only, William Rusk.
Typical Visit: 30 minutes
It was at Eriskay on June 23, 1745 that "Bonnie Prince Charlie" first set foot on Scottish soil.The tiny island off the southern tip of South Uist can be reached by passenger ferry from Ludag. In 1941 the "SS Politician" sank with a cargo of 20,000 crates of whisky which the inhabitants rapidly concealed. The full story was told in the film "Whisky Galore".
The main town of Castlebay (pop. 1,300) was once a flourishing herring port, but the fishermen now go in search of lobsters and prawns.
The medieval Kisimul Castle perches on a rock in the middle of a bay. The clan McNeil of Barra, who made a name for themselves as skilled seafarers and feared pirates, lived here from 1314, but the building was ruined by fire at the end of the 18th C. In 1938 the 45th clan chief, an American architect, returned it to its original condition.
Although the scenery is similar to Barra, deserted beaches and bizarre rock formations characterize the coastlines of the small islands that lie to the south: Vatersay (Bhatarsaigh), Sandray (Sanndraigh), Pabbay (Pataigh), Mingulay (Miu' Laigh) and Berneray (Bearnaraigh) with Barra Head (Ceann Barraigh) marking the southern tip.
South Uist Pictures View All