Leith Tourist Attractions
Situated at the mouth of the Water of Leith in the Firth of Forth, Leith is Edinburgh's main port. Until 1920, it was an independent town which had grown considerably in importance during the Industrial Revolution mainly through shipbuilding. Four new docks alone were built during the second half of the 19th century, but with the decline of the port after World War II, the town's economic fortunes waned. However, in the last few years, redevelopment has brought new hope to the fragile local economy. The houses around the Shore, Constitution Street and Bernhard Street have been brightened up, including the old Customs House and Andrew Lamb's House in Burgess Street which was built in the 17th century by a prosperous merchant. A good example of modern architecture is the King's Landing housing estate. The name derives from the visit of George IV to the town in 1822. He was the first monarch to set foot on Scottish soil for more than 100 years.
Clan Tartan Centre
The Heritage Room in Kinloch Anderson's premises (founded in 1868) with its various tartans and the uniforms of Scottish regiments illustrates the long history of the kiltmaker. The shop next door sells woolen goods and all the other accouterments for kilt wearers.
Ratho - Canal Centre
To the west of Ratho's city center (8mi/12.8km), the Bridge Inn in Baird Road owns two small, luxurious canal boat restaurants. An exhibition in the inn documents the history of canal boats.
Leith Pictures View All