Follow Us:

Surroundings, Dundee

CarnoustieCarnoustie View slideshow
The area surrounding Dundee has many visitor attractions that include romantic castles, formal gardens, beaches as well as shopping, theatre and culture.

Broughty Ferry Castle

The castle at Broughty Ferry (3mi/4.8km to the east of Dundee) on the banks of the Tay was built in the 15th century, but was destroyed more than once by the English in the 16th and 17th centuries. The museum here documents the history of whaling, an important industry for Dundonians in the second half of the 18th century.
Address: Broughty Ferry, Dundee DD5 2BE, Scotland

Glamis Castle

Characteristically Baronian in style, Glamis Castle is one of the finest tourist attractions in Scotland. The Castle features a striking Dining Room furnished in Victorian Style.

Angus Folk Museum

The Angus Folk Museum in Kirkwynd Cottages (19th C) at Glamis illustrates the history of rural life in the region.
Address: Kirkwynd, Glamis Forfar, Angus DD8 1RT, Scotland

Carnoustie, Scotland

The famous Carnoustie Golf Course.
Carnoustie (pop. 9,155) is a coastal resort with a very tough championship golf course.

Barry Water Mill

The Barry Mill near Carnoustie has occupied this site since 1539. The present building was rebuilt in 1814 after a fire. The mill was the last water-powered meal mill to work in Angus, producing oatmeal until the late 1970s. Currently, it works on a demonstration basis only.
Address: Barry, Carnoustie, Angus DD7 7RJ, Scotland

Meigle Sculptured Stone Museum

The 25 early Christian stones (10mi/16km to the west of Glamis) are thought to date from the Celtic period between the seventh and 10th centuries and were found in or near the graveyard at Meigle.
Address: Longmore House, Salisbury Place, Jedburgh TD8 6JQ, Scotland

Montrose - House of Dun

Old tree at the House of Dun outside Montrose.
Slightly less than 4mi/6km outside Montrose stands a jewel among Georgian country houses. The House of Dun was built for Lord David Erskine between 1730 and 1742. Since 1989 it has been in the possession of the National Trust for Scotland. William Adam designed this two-story Palladian building in the style of the Château d'Issy near Paris. The Dutchman Joseph Enzer was responsible for the extravagant allegorical stuccowork in the Great Drawing Room. The Scottish lion and Mars (a reference to the earls of Mar, the king's sword-bearers) guard the Scottish regalia, flanked by national emblems serving as symbols of the "Auld Alliance" with France and the "Grand Alliance" or "Union of Crowns" with England. The Neo-baroque Dining Room (19th century) and the Flemish tapestries (17th century) in the Tapestry Room are of interest.
Demonstrations of traditional cloth weaving on old handlooms take place in the courtyard buildings.
The house features Joseph Enzer plasterwork and the courtyard buildings include a handloom weaving workshop and various displays. You will also find a walled garden and woodland walks.
Address: Montrose, Angus DD10 9LQ, Scotland

Forfar, Scotland

The historic town of Forfar (pop. 10,300) in the Strathmore valley 12mi/19.2km north of Dundee was once an important center for the jute industry.

Restenneth Priory

The Pictish king Nechtan is said to have laid the foundation stone to the little church of St Peter (1.5mi/2.4km northeast of Forfar). It is, after St Ninian in Whithorn, the oldest stone church in Scotland. King David I ordered the church to be rebuilt in 1153 for the Augustinians, but the spire for the Norman tower was not added until the 15th century. The abandoned monastery buildings and other parts date from later years.
Address: Longmore House, Salisbury Place, Jedburgh TD8 6JQ, Scotland

Arbroath, Scotland

Buildings along Arbroath harbor.
The inhabitants of the pretty little harbor town of Arbroath (pop. 23,000) earn their living from fishing and tourism, although it is the "Arbroath smoky", a type of smoked haddock, for which the town is best known. A nature trail which takes in some magnificent views starts at the north end of the promenade. The highlights of the trail are a number of notorious smugglers' caves and a fascinating cliff landscape.

Arbroath Abbey

Brickwork at Arbroath Abbey.
The Benedictine abbey was built out of red sandstone in 1178 by William the Lion. In 1320 it played an important part in Scottish history when six years after the decisive Battle of Bannockburn, noblemen and clergy met in the tower of the gatehouse to sign a letter to Pope John XXII, the so-called Declaration of Arbroath, which resulted in Robert the Bruce becoming king. Only sections of the richly-ornamented Romanesque west portal, the south transept of the sacristy and the presbytery survive from this once vast, cruciform abbey. Some of the original vaulting remains in the sacristy where capitals imaginatively decorate the surrounding blind arcades. The "O of Arbroath", a rose window which faces out to sea above a round-arched triforium in the south transept, served as a beacon for vessels out at sea during the Middle Ages. The restored hall in the old Abbots House is now a museum where exhibits include medieval frescoes and a copy of the Declaration of Arbroath.
ENLARGE MAP PRINT MAP EMBED < > Arbroath Abbey - Floor plan map Arbroath Abbey Map

Perth, Scotland

Crieff, Scotland

The Weaver's House in Burrell Street offers an insight into traditional Scottish weaving techniques and regional customs, while the Visitor Center in Muthill Road has displays of local handicrafts.

Comrie

The history of tartans, plaids and kilts is covered in some detail at Comrie's Tartan Museum. This collection belonging to the Scottish Tartans Society illustrates how the traditional patterns were made and how they are linked to the various clans.

Drummond Castle Gardens

Exterior of the Drummond Castle and Gardens.
The upper terrace provides the best view of these terraced gardens which were laid out in 1630 by John Drummond. After Cromwell's troops had burned down the medieval castle (15th century), it was gradually rebuilt. The castle was extended in the 19th century and in early Victorian times alterations were also made to the lower sections of the parkland.
The grounds include a parterre garden and a multi-faceted sundial, designed by John Mylne, Master Mason to King Charles I.

Innerpeffray, Scotland

Innerpeffray (4mi/6.4km southeast of Crieff) claims a place in Scotland's literary history. The public library, opened in 1691, is said to be the oldest in Scotland. The early volumes stored here are of theological and classical interest.

Fowlis Wester, Scotland

The A85 continues west from Perth passing close to the pretty village of Fowlis Wester, noted for an eighth century market cross and the 13th century St Bean Church. A ninth century Pictish stone can be seen in front of the church.

Auchterarder, Scotland

Auchterarder is a small town located between Perth and Stirling on the A9. Kincardine and Strathallan Castles are worth seeing. Visitors to the area won't want to miss the fascinating Gleneagles House located nearby.

Round Tower

The Round Tower of Brechin.
The Round Tower built in Irish-Celtic style during the 11th century is perhaps the most interesting sight in Brechin. The only other comparable tower is in Abernethy. The narrow doorway some 6ft/2m above ground proves that it had a double function: as an early Christian church and also as a place of refuge. The nearby cathedral was founded in 1150 by David I, but the tower (ca. 1360), the early Gothic west portal and a few interesting gravestones all date from the Middle Ages.

Brechin Castle

A walled garden is to be found at this 13th century fortress, Brechin Castle. A fair portion of the yews, borders and paths have been preserved.
Address: Brechin, Angus DD9 6SG, Scotland

Edzell Castle

An old beech tree at Edzell Castle.
Edzell Castle located 6mi/9.6km north of Brechin is a 16th C castle with a unique renaissance garden.
A closer look is worthwhile not just for the castle's fortifications but also for the marvelous 16th century Renaissance gardens that were laid out in 1604 by Sir David Lindsay. In the summer a colorful display of blooms in the colors of the Lindsay coat-of-arms decorates the red enclosure walls. A Neo-gothic summer house and an attractive ruined 17th century bath house are among the delights of the garden.

Aberlemno Sculptured Stones

The best of the four Pictish stones of Aberlemno (HS; 6mi/9.6km northeast of Forfar) stands in the graveyard and dates from the eighth century. As well as a Celtic cross, battle scenes and several animal symbols can be identified. Of the roadside stones in the village, the biggest shows a Celtic cross flanked by angels as well as hunting scenes, a double discus and a half-moon.
Address: Longmore House, Salisbury Place, Jedburgh TD8 6JQ, Scotland

Sightseeing Nearby:

You may also be interested in:

More on PlanetWare