City Center, San Antonio

Many of the city's attractions are located in the city center, all of which are within close proximity to each other.

The Alamo

The Alamo is an early 18th C church which was later turned into a fort. The building was made famous in the war of independence when a small Texas force used the fort for cover against an army of 3000 Mexicans.
HIGHLIGHTS

Paseo del Rio (River Walk)

The River Walk, along the San Antonio River, runs for several miles past restaurants, shops, and hotels. The walk is a level below street level so no streets need be crossed. River cruises are also available along this section.
The River Walk is the heart of the tourist area in San Antonio. Most people at least come here to see it and walk along this highly developed stretch of river, even if they don't stop to shop or eat. For those who want to spend some time here, outdoor patios and dining areas line the paved walk, offering a great place to sit and people watch.

La Villita

South of the Arneson Theater is La Villita, the Mexican quarter (mid-18th c.; restored), with many shops selling folk art, art galleries and restaurants in adobe houses.

Hemis Fair Park

South-east of the Alamo is HemisFair Park, scene of the World's Fair of 1968. It is dominated by the 750 ft high Tower of the Americas, with an observation platform and revolving restaurant. Beyond this are the Institute of Texan Cultures and the Mexican Cultural Institute (contemporary Mexican art).

Spanish Governor's Palace

To the west of the San Antonio River, reached by way of the Main Plaza and the archiepiscopal San Fernando Cathedral (originally built by settlers from the Canaries in 1738-58), is the Military Plaza/Plaza de Armas, with the low whitewashed palace of the Spanish governor, built in 1749 with materials imported from Spain.
The building is today a National Historic Landmark and operates as a museum.
Address: 105 Plaza De Armas, San Antonio, TX 78205-2412, United States

King William Historic District

To the south of these two plazas is the King William Historic District, built by prosperous German settlers in the 19th c. and named after King William of Prussia. The Steves Homestead (509 King William St.) a German house built in 1876, and Guenther House (205 Guenther St.), built in 1860, are open to the public.

Market Square

Beyond San Pedro Creek is the city's Mexican quarter, with the picturesque Market Square (El Mercado) on West Commerce Street.
Visitors will find Mexican restaurants, and shops and galleries with all kinds of souvenirs and crafts.
Address: 514 W. Commerce, San Antonio, TX 78207, United States

Cowboy Museum (closed)

ATTRACTION IS CLOSED.
The museum, housed in an 1850's building, contains a collection of Old West artifacts and art as well as depictions of a saloon, saddle shop, jail, and general store.

Institute of Texan Cultures

The exhibits at the Institute of Texan Cultures depict the contributions of many of the ethnic and cultural groups that settled in Texas. The museum's collection is displayed through rotating exhibits.
Address: 801 South Bowie Street, San Antonio, TX 78205-3296, United States

Casa Navarro State Historic Site

This was the home of Jose Antonio Navarro, a central figure in the formation of Texas. His personal memorabilia is on display.
Address: 228 South Laredo Street, San Antonio, TX 78207-4544, United States

Edward Steves Homestead

This home was built in 1876 for Edward Steves, founder of the Steves Lumber Company. It has been maintained since 1954 as a historic home.
Address: 509 King William Street, San Antonio, TX 78204-1411, United States

Plaza Theater of Wax

The museum has more than 250 life-size wax figures displayed in various theme settings.
Address: 301 Alamo Plaza, San Antonio, TX 78205-2605, United States

San Fernando Cathedral

The burial site of heroes of the Alamo.
Official site: www.sfcathedral.org
Address: 115 Main Plaza, San Antonio, TX 78205, United States

Popular Pages