Lower Town, Salvador Cidade Baixa
Nossa Senhora da Conceição da Praia
The church of Nossa Senhora da Conceição da Praia, in the square of that name to the south-west of the Elevador Lacerda, was built between 1739 and 1765 in Portuguese pedra de lioz, a marble-like stone which was brought from Portugal as ballast in the sailing ships which transported the produce of the colony back to the mother country. The towers incorporated diagonally in the façade and the beveled corners in the interior show the influence of Baroque architecture. The ceiling painting in the nave (by José Joaquim da Rocha, 1773) is a masterpiece of trompe-l'oeil. In the church is the Museu de Arte Sacra Monsenhor Aquino Barbosa.
Mercado São Joaquim
One place of interest in the lower town is the Mercado São Joaquim in Agua de Meninos, where craft products can be bought.
Forte São Marcelo
From Praça Cairu a boat can be taken to Forte São Marcelo (or Forte do Mar), built in 1623 by the military architect Francisco Frias, who was also responsible for Forte São Diogo (1609-12) in Salvador and the imposing Forte dos Reis Magos (1614) in Natal. Forte São Marcelo, on a large platform lying off the harbor, was completed by the Dutch, who occupied Salvador from May 1624 to May 1625.
Bahia Museum of Art
Bahia Museum of ArtAvenida Lafayete runs into Avenida 7 de Setembro, which cuts through the Vitória district and comes to the beaches of Porto da Barra and Farol da Barra, on the east side of the bay. On Avenida 7 de Setembro is the Bahia Museum of Art (Museu de Arte de Bahia), which since 1943 has been housed in a mansion formerly belonging to the Goes Calmon family. The Museum's collections include furniture, silver and azulejos from colonial Bahia, Chinese porcelain and pictures by modern Bahian artists.
Palácio da Aclamação
Opposite Forte São Pedro is the Palácio da Aclamação (1917), which until 1967 was the residence of the Governor of Bahia. The palace has beautiful gardens and a luxurious interior in Louis XIV and Rococo style. Although the building is still used for the reception of heads of state and other official guests, it is open to the public as a museum.
Carlos Costa Pinto Museum
Carlos Costa Pinto MuseumOn Avenida 7 de Setembro is the Carlos Costa Pinto Museum, which displays silver and furnishings of the 17th-19th centuries, gold jewelry, pictures, porcelain and a large collection of balangandãs (decorative brooches worn by the women of Bahia).
Solar do Unhão (Museum of Modern Art)
Forte Santo Antônio
To the north of the Palácio da Aclamação are the Vila Velha Theatre and the Gamboa Theatre. The large Castro Alves Theatre lies south-east of the palace, near Largo do Campo Grande.
In Largo do Campo Grande, one of the city's busiest traffic intersections, is a monument commemorating the victorious Brazilian forces who entered the town on July 2nd 1823 after defeating the Portuguese in the battle of Pirajá in November 1822 and raising the siege of Salvador.
Terreiro da Casa Branca
On Avenida Vasco da Gama, which links the central district of Tororó to the south with the Rio Vermelho and Amaralina districts to the east, is the Terreiro da Casa Branca, the oldest Candomblé cult center in Bahia.
Lapa Church and Convent
On Avenida Joana Angélica, which runs uphill from Largo da Pólvora, are the Lapa church and convent (1744). Sister Joana Angélica was murdered here when she denied admittance to Portuguese troops searching for members of the Independência movement. The scallop-shaped high altar in the church is crowned by a baldachin.
Some 500m/550yds beyond the Solar do Unhão, on the Praia da Gamboa, are the ruins of the 18th century fort of São Paulo da Gamboa. Inland, on the south side of Rua Gamboa de Cima, is the imposing Forte São Pedro, which also dates from the 18th century.
Forum Rui Barbosa
North-west of the Mangabeira Stadium is the church of the Desterro (or Santa Clara) Convent (1675), the first nunnery established in Brazil, with an onion-domed tower. Close by, on Largo da Pólvora, is the Rui Barbosa Forum, with a vault containing the tomb of the lawyer and writer Rui Barbosa (1849-1923).
Nossa Senhora da Piedade
On Praça da Piedade, are the church and convent of Nossa Senhora da Piedade (1683), the Library of the Gabinete Português de Leitura (1823) and the Museum of the Historical and Geographical Institute of Bahia (folk art and ethnography).
Otávio Mangabeira, Fonte Nova Stadium (closed)
Some distance north-east of the Campo Grande is the Estádio Otávio Mangabeira or Fonte Nova Stadium.Demolished in 2010.
Map of Salvador Attractions