Place Vendôme, Paris
To the north of the Tuileries is the Place Vendôme, a magnificent square built in the late 17th and early 18th C which has preserved its original form.The square, then called Place Louis le Grand, was laid out by Jules Hardouin Mansart, one of the leading architects of the "Grand Siècle" under Louis XIV. The facades of the houses were built between 1686 and 1701, but the houses themselves were not completed until 1720.
Place Vendome Map
Transit: Metro: Madeleine, Opera, Concorde; Bus: 21, 24, 27, 29, 42, 52, 68, 72, 84, 94, 95.
Colonne de la Grande Armée
In Paris, the Colonne de la Grande Armée has a spiral bronze relief recalling the glorious deeds of the French army. The column replaces an equestrian statue of Louis XIV which was destroyed in 1792 during the French Revolution. The present monument, 44m/144ft high, was erected by Napoleon in imitation of Trajan's Column in Rome. It is topped by a statue of Napoleon in the garb of a Roman emperor. In 1814 the original statue was melted down and the metal used for the statue of Henri IV on the Pont Neuf, to be replaced by a new one in 1833. In 1871, during the Paris Commune, the column was pulled down but was later re-erected with a copy of the statue of Napoleon.