From Borgholm to Färjestaden
Borgholm (pop. 11,000), the only town on the island of Öland (municipal charter 1516), is a popular holiday resort. At Tullgatan 22 is Ölands Forngård, a museum of local history. In Strandgatan, on the harbor, is the Kronomagasin, an archaeological museum housed in a building of 1819. Borgholm also has an interesting Motor Museum.
1km/0.75mi southwest of Borgholm are the imposing ruins of Borgholm Castle, begun in 1572 on the site of an earlier castle, subsequently rebuilt, and destroyed by fire in 1806; it is now the setting of a musical festival. From the ramparts there are fine views of the island and Kalmarsund.
Address: Box 20, S-38721 Borgholm, Sweden
Entrance fee in SEK: Adult kr30.00
Solliden Country House
At Borgholm Castle is the visitors' entrance to Solliden, a country house built in 1903-06 for Queen Victoria, now a royal summer residence. In the beautiful park much of the original vegetation has been preserved, but there is also a Dutch rose garden, as well as many deciduous trees not normally found in this region.
Borgholm Victoria Day is celebrated in July.
Borgholm - Egby Church
12km/7.5mi east of Borgholm is Egby church, the smallest on the island Öland. In spite of alterations carried out in 1818, when the tower was built, the church has preserved its original Romanesque character. It has a fine font and a stone altar of the 12th century. The Baroque pulpit and reredos date from about 1750.
Borgholm - Gärdslösa Church
15km/9mi southeast of Borgholm stands the Romanesque church of Gärdslösa (12th C.), Öland's best-preserved medieval church. The Gothic choir, with wall paintings on Old Testament themes, dates from the end of the 13th century. There are also fragments of 14th century frescoes. The pulpit (1666) is richly painted and there is a beautiful Roccoco altar (1764).
Borgholm - Karums Alvar
17km/10mi south of Borgholm is Karums Alvar, a large Iron Age cemetery area, with a stone-setting in the shape of a ship, 30m/100ft long, known as Noah's Ark. Nearby are two limestone hills to which Odin is said to have tethered his horse Sleipnir.
Borgholm - Himmelsberga Open-Air Museum
23km/14mi southeast of Borgholm is Himmelsberga open-air museum: typical local farms, with old furniture and furnishings; handsome old half-timbering, mostly of oak. Norrgården (1842) has more the air of a manor house, while Karls-Olsgården (late 18th C.) is a modest turf-roofed cottage (wall paintings in parlor).
Borgholm - Lerkaka
25km/15.5mi southeast of Borgholm is Lerkaka, with five well-preserved windmills. Nearby can be seen a large runic stone.
Borgholm - Ismantorpsborg
27km/17mi south of Borgholm is Ismantorpsborg, the most striking of the refuge forts on Öland, probably dating from the period of the great migrations. It has a diameter of some 125m/400ft, and within its well-preserved ramparts are 88 hut bases. Unusually, it has no fewer than nine entrances, suggesting that it was primarily a cult site.
Färjestaden - Öland Bridge
On the west coast of Öland, opposite Kalmar, lies the little port of Färjestaden. From Möllstorp, to the north of the town, the Öland Bridge (6,070m/6,600yd long, with 153 piers), built in 1972, spans the sound to Kalmar. 500m/550yd from the end of the bridge can be found Öland Djurpark (Zoo).
Färjestaden - Gråborg
8km/5mi northeast of Färjestaden is the Gråborg, the largest refuge fort on the island, which was probably constructed during the great migrations and remained in use into the Middle Ages. Its ramparts, up to 6m/20ft high, enclose an elliptical area 220m/240yd long by 165m/180yd across. There are remains of an impressive vaulted gateway. Near the Gråborg are the ruins of St Knut's Chapel (13th C.).