Hulst Tourist Attractions
The old fortified town of Hulst lies in Zeeuws-Vlaanderen (Zealand Flanders) to the south of the Westerschelde. Its medieval walls, which were strengthened in the 17th century, have a total circuit of 3.5km/2.25mi. Three old town gates - the Gentse Poort (1780), the Dubbele Poort (1771) and the Bollewerckpoort (1506) - still give access to the town center.
The building of St Willibrorduskerk in Hulst, a Late-Gothic cruciform basilica, began in 1400. The choir was completed in 1460; the nave, which was damaged by fire in 1469, was completely restored only in 1562. In 1645 the church went over to the Reformed faith. Between 1806 and 1929 it was divided into two by a wall, the nave being occupied by the Protestants and the chancel by the Catholics. The wall was pulled down in 1929, and the whole church is now Roman Catholic. The tower was damaged in the Second World War and was restored with a concrete spire.
The Town Hall (Stadhuis), with a facade of white dressed stone, was built by Keldermans in 1528-34.
Reinaert de Vos Monument
At the Gentse Poort is a monument with scenes from the popular medieval tale "Reinaert de Vos" ("Reynard the Fox"), which is set partly in Hulst and the surrounding area.
Drowned Land of Saeftinge
Northeast of Hulst lies the Verdronken Land van Saeftinge, the "Drowned Land of Saeftinge", an area engulfed by the sea 400 years ago which is now a nature reserve. It may be visited only on a conducted tour.