Karlsplatz (Stachus), München
The Karlsplatz, outside the Karlstor, was laid out in 1791 after the demolition of Munich's old town walls. It was named after the unpopular Elector Karl Theodor, but is familiarly known to the people of Munich as the Stachus, a name the origin of which is uncertain. It may derive from the "Stachusgarten", an eating house which, from 1755, stood on the site now occupied by the Kaufhof department store; or, alternatively, from the "Stachuschützen", marksmen who used to practice on a crossbow range near the Botanische Garten.
Karlsplatz (Stachus) Map
Transit: S-Bahn: S1-S7 (Karlsplatz/Stachus) U-Bahn: U4, U5 (Karlsplatz/Stachus); Tram: 18, 19, 20, 25, 27.
The triple-arched Karlstor at the western end of Neuhauser Strasse marks the entrance to Munich's Old Town. It formed part of the city's second ring of walls, which stood from 1319 until 1791. Known until then as the Neuhauser Tor, the gate was renamed in 1791 when the walls were demolished on the orders of the Elector Karl Theodor. After an explosion in 1861 the gate was rebuilt, but minus its central tower.
Karlsplatz (Stachus) Pictures
Map of Munich Attractions