Max Joseph Square, Munich Max-Joseph-Platz
Max-Joseph-Platz lies between Marienplatz and Odeonsplatz, enclosed on its north side by the rebuilt and once again resplendent royal Residenz, on its east side by the magnificent Nationaltheater and on its south side by the Hauptpost ( the former Palais Törring-Jettenbach).Badly damaged in a night of bombing on April 24-25 1944, the buildings around Max-Joseph-Platz have all since been restored at great expense, the square thus regaining much of its original splendor.The square, beneath which is underground parking, boasts a memorial to King Maximilian I Joseph with figures by Christian Rauch from the ideas of Leo von Klenze and cast in bronze by Johann Baptist Stiglmaier of Munich.
Max Joseph Square Map
Transit: S-Bahn: S1-S7 (Marienplatz) U-Bahn: U3, U6 (Marienplatz); U3, U4, U5, U6 (Odeonsplatz); Tram: 19.
A cluster of buildings arranged around seven courts comprise the Royal Residence in Munich's Old Town. The Residence incorporates elements of Renaissance, Baroque, Rococo and Neo-Classical style.
The Bavarian State Opera House, built in an architectural style resembling that of a Greek temple, is amongst the world's finest opera houses. The annual Munich Opera Festival is the most splendid event in the theatrical season.
Linking the Old Town with the suburbs of Lehel and Haidhausen, Maximillian Street is the place for fashion, with many designer shops and upper end boutiques.
On the ground floor of the Residenz is the Collection of Egyptian Art, covering 7,000 years of history.
This is the only Art Nouveau theater in Germany. The oval auditorium (seating 727), with stalls, balcony and boxes, is decorated in a festive combination of red, green and gold. Every detail in decoration and furnishings is Art Nouveau (in Germany known as Jugendstil). The curtain is a reconstruction of the original, which was designed by Richard Riemerschmid. The foyers and entrance lobby are equally consistent in style.The original coloring has been restored - brown and red in the lobby, blue and green in the foyer on the ground-floor, light gray, yellow and white in the upstairs foyer.Built and decorated in 1900-01 by Max Littmann and Richard Riemerschmid, the theater was renovated in 1937 and again in 1950, in a fashion that destroyed its uniformity of style and decoration. In 1970-71, however, it was restored to its original glory.The repertoire of the theater and its associated Werkraumtheater (Theater Workshop) ranges from classical drama to classic modern plays and experimental contemporary works.
Main Post Office
The Palais Törring-Jettenbach, now occupied by the Munich Main Post Office, was built in 1747-54 by Ignaz Anton Gunetzrhainer. The decoration of the interior was the work of his brother Johann Baptist; the stucco-work was by Johann Baptist Zimmermann. Nine figures in the staircase hall, now in the Nationalmuseum, were carved by Johann Baptist Straub (1744).The palace was acquired by the Post Office in 1834 for 180,000 florins. King Ludwig I had pressed strongly for the purchase, since, in accordance with the plans of his architect Leo von Klenze, he wanted to have a suitably imposing building with a proper colonnaded front in Max-Joseph-Platz opposite the Königsbau wing of the Residenz. Between 1836 and 1839 Klenze modified the palace by adding two additional windows at each end and an open portico in front. The cost of the project was the cause of considerable outcry. Klenze had estimated the cost of the alterations at 85,000 florins, and Ludwig had repeatedly stressed that this was to be the absolute maximum; however, as a result of changes regarded as "highly necessary and advantageous", the final total turned out to be more than twice the estimated sum.
The building which housed the Bavarian Mint from 1809 to 1983, was originally erected by the Court Architect, Wilhelm Egkl, in 1563-67 to accommodate Duke Albrect V's art collection and library, and the Court Stables. Consisting of four wings enclosing an inner courtyard, it was linked by arcades with the Alter Hofand the Neuveste. In the 19th C. it was given a Neo-Classical west front and a Neo-Gothic north front (by the addition of arcades of pointed arches). The Mint is now the home of the Bavarian Landesdenkmalamt (the body responsible for the state's historical monuments etc.).The courtyard, measuring 32m/105ft by 12m/40ft, has been preserved in its original form, with arcaded galleries on all four sides on each floor level. Of importance as the first introduction into Munich of the Court architecture of the Italian Renaissance, it is far from being a mere copy. While evidently not concerned to achieve a strictly schematic arrangement of the columns and arcades, the architect succeeded in producing an informal, yet at the same time finely proportioned Renaissance masterpiece.
Map of Munich Attractions