Church of the Holy Ghost, Munich Heiliggeistkirche
This Gothic hall-church, originally belonging to the Hospice of the Holy Ghost (14th C.), was remodeled in 1724-30 by Johann Georg Ettenhofer (vaulting, refacing of pillars); in the interior can be seen fine Roccoco frescoes and stucco ornament by the Asam brothers. After the demolition of the hospice buildings, in 1885, Franz Löwel added three bays at the west end of the church and gave it an imposing Neo-Baroque facade. The church suffered severe damage during the Second World War and its interior furnishings were largely destroyed; extensive rebuilding and restoration was carried out after the war.Of the original Gothic church there remain only the choir buttresses and the north wall of the nave.The tower (1730) has a lantern dome of characteristic Munich type. The Neo-Baroque facade shows a skillful use of elements borrowed from Viscardi's Trinity Church.The interior is aisled, with an ambulatory round the choir. The nave is barrel-vaulted, with small vaults over the windows. The aisles have groined vaulting.FurnishingsAmong several items of considerable art-historical interest in the church are: in the porch, to left and right of the main entrance, parts of a bronze memorial made in 1608 by Hans Krumper for Duke Ferdinand of Bavaria; in the chancel the high altar by Nikolaus Stuber (1730), with an altarpiece by Ulrich Loth "The Effusion of the Holy Spirit" (1661) and two flanking figures of angels by Johann Georg Greiff (1729); right aisle, a series of wall paintings (1725) by Peter Horeman illustrating the "Seven Gifts of the Holy Spirit"; in the Kreuzkapelle, a Late Gothic crucifix (1510); and, midway along the left aisle, an altar with a miraculous image of the "Hammerthaler Madonna" (15th C.).The interior of the church was renovated at great expense in 1991.
Transit: S-Bahn: S1-S7 (Marienplatz) U-Bahn: U3, U6 (Marienplatz).
Map of Munich Attractions