Lake Müritz (area 115.3sq.km/44.5sq.mi) is the largest lake in the Mecklenburg lake district. The name is Slav, meaning "sea," and indeed this great sheet of water, surrounded by woodland and fields, has the aspect of a sea and can be stormy with threatening waves.LandscapeThe lake has an average depth of about 6.50m/21ft, with a maximum depth of 31m/102ft. It lies at an altitude of 62m/203ft above sea level, considerably higher than the second largest of the Mecklenburg lakes, the Schweriner See (37.40m/123ft). Thus, like the other "Great Lakes" drained by the river Elde to the Elbe, it is one of the Obere Seen (Upper Lakes) in the Mecklenburg lake district. It is linked by the Müritz-Havel Canal with the upper Havel and the numerous lakes in that area.
Müritz National Park
At the north end of Lake Müritz, around Waren, are a number of smaller lakes (the Binnenmüritz, the Tiefwarensee, the Feisnecksee), separated from it by narrow strips of land. Round its northeast and east sides are other lakes (the Rederangsee, the Specker See, etc.). All of these are now included within the Müritz National Park (area 310sq.km/120sq.mi), established in 1990, notable for the large numbers of rare birds (cranes, white-tailed eagles, ospreys) which nest here.
Situation and characteristicsWaren, chief town of a district, lies on the northern shore of Lake Müritz. In its setting of lakes and woodland it is an attractive holiday place.
St George's Church
The parish church of St George (c. 1225) in Waren, a brick-built Early Gothic basilica with a neo-Gothic choir (mid 19th c.) and a Late Gothic west tower (early 15th c.), has a notable Triumphal Cross group (14th c.).
St Mary's Church
The parish church of St Mary (13th c.) in Waren was originally an aisled Early Gothic church with a choir in Transitional style (late 13th c.). After being burned down in 1637 (and again in 1671) it was rebuilt in 1792 as an aisleless church. The tower has a Baroque crown.
Old Town Hall
The oldest secular building in Waren is the Old Town Hall, now occupied by the church verger and organist.
In the Neuer Markt of Waren is the Löwenapotheke (Lion Pharmacy), a handsome half-timbered building with an 18th C. facade.
Waren's Müritz Museum at Friedensstrasse 5, founded in 1866 as a natural history museum, is now devoted to the culture of the region and the protection of nature and the environment (prehistoric finds from Mecklenburg, flora and fauna of the Müritz area).