All Other Destinations and Attractions in Martinique
Le Carbet, Martinique
Le Carbet, which became a parish as early as 1645, is the supposed landing site of Christopher Columbus on June 15, 1502. The town was also the site of an 1822 slave revolt.Le Carbet is also home to the Gauguin Museum.
La Carbet - Butterflies Garden
The Butterflies Garden, at Father Jean Baptiste du Tertre in La Carbet, is a restored natural area designed to support habitat for local ecosystems. The Butterfly Garden also serves as a venue for local artists, musicians, and other entertainers.
Latouche's Creek Garden
Latouche's Creek Garden is located on the site of a former sugar factory which was destroyed with the eruption of Mt Pelée. Some ruins are still standing but the main attraction are the gardens.
Sainte-Anne has the distinction of being the island's southernmost village. There are some nearby beaches which offer swimming and snorkeling opportunities. The town is popular with travelers and maintains a number of shops and restaurants and a craft market.
Grande Anse des Salines
A short distance south of Sainte-Anne is one of the most popular beaches on Martinique. Grande Anse des Salines is a 1 km (0.6 mile) white sand beach.
Grand-Rivière is a small fishing village on the northern tip of Martinique. At the waterfront is a fish market and black sand beach. Dominica can be seen in the distance to the north.
Le Marin, Martinique
Le Marin is the commercial center for the surrounding area. Of interest in the town is a 1766 stone church.The town is well known and popular as a mooring spot for yachters.
Leyritz Plantation, an 18th C sugar plantation, is now a hotel and restaurant. On the grounds are some of the old buildings, including the former plantation house which is furnished in period.
Opening hours: 9am-5pm; Closed: Sun
Entrance fee in EUR: Adult €15.00, Child 11 & under FREE
Useful tips: Admission is free if ordering food.
Musée de Poupées Végétales
The Musée de Poupées Végétales, located at the Leyritz Plantation, is a unique museum displaying dolls created by local resident Will Fenton. With a unique twist, the dolls are made from palm fronds and other plant matter.
Saint-Esprit - The Museum of Folk Art
Fond Sainte Jacques, Sainte-Marie, Martinique
Fond Saint-Jacques is a 1660 Dominican monastery and sugar plantation. The site is now a government operated cultural center. On the grounds are ruins of the mill, boiling house, and sugar factory.
Ajoupa-Bouillon, at the base of Mount Pelee is known for the flowers which decorate the little village, and for the river crayfish farming.
Les Ombrages offers a botanical trail along a ravine and past the ruins of a distillery. The vegetation here is largely comprised of shade plants that grow in the shadows of the large trees.
Gorges de la Falaise
Gorges de la Falaise are a series of small gorges along the Falaise River which lead to a waterfalls.
Bellefontaine is a fishing village and vegetable farming area. Painter Jules Marillac lived and died here and is buried in the town's cemetery.
Le Torgiléo in Bellefontaine is a hillside building in the shape of a boat. It was built in 1948 and has served as a hotel and a restaurant.
A steep road climbs to Panorama Verrier, a lookout offering views of the Caribbean, the Pitons du Carbet, and Mont Pelée.
The church in Bellefontaine displays metal sculptures by Joseph René Corail.
Case-Pilote is one of the oldest villages on the island and home to one of the oldest churches.
Grand Anse, Martinique
Grand Anse is a fishing village which has proved popular with locals, yachters, and tourists. The beach offers good swimming and snorkeling opportunities.
La Trinite, Martinique
La Trinité is a major sugar cane, banana, and pineapple growing area. A waterfront walkway runs the length of the village with kiosks and monuments.
La Caravelle Nature Trail and Château Dubuc Ruins
La Caravelle Nature Trail near la Trinity is a one hour hike through mangrove forest. Near the entrance to the hike are the ruins of Château Dubuc with some standing sections of stone walls.
Le Diamant, Martinique
Looking out to Diamond Rock the seaside town of Le Diamant offers a pleasant stretch of beach and an historic church.
Diamond Rock is located 3 km from mainland Martinique. In 1804 the British dropped sailors on the island and registered the rock as a ship, the HMS Diamond Rock. After 17 months of unsuccessful attacks on the rock, the French apparently set adrift a load of rum near the island. A short time later the French attacked the island of drunken sailors and retook the rock.
Le Francois, Martinique
Le François is one of the islands larger towns. It was established by French settlers in about 1620 and is today largely agriculture based.
Église Saint Michel du-François
Designed by Martinique born architect Marc Alie, the church was built to replace the former church destroyed in a 1973 fire. Only a skeleton and the façade of this modern style church remain today due to a cyclone.
Le Precheur, Martinique
Le Precheur was settled in 1635 and became a parish in 1648. The town is known for its hot springs and a bell tower given as a gift by Louis XIV.
Le Robert, Martinique
Le Robert is situated on the bay, Havre du Robert, offering beautiful views. The waterfront provides a pleasant place to stroll.
The little village of Morne-Vert sits at 450 m (1,500 ft). It offers a cooler climate and views of the Pitons du Carbet and Mont Pelée.
Rivière-Pilote is a sugar cane and vegetable farming area. The town offers a covered market and is also known for its cockfighting and snake and mongoose fighting.
Ecomusée de Martinique
The Ecomusée de Martinique in Anse Figuier, near Rivière-Pilote, deals with the history of Martinique from prehistoric times to modern day. Topics covered include slavery, colonialism, and agriculture and the plantations.