Universidad District, Madrid
The church of San Andrés stands on the Plaza de San Andrés. It was rebuilt in the mid 17th C but severely damaged during the Civil War in 1936.
Second of May Square
The Plaza del Dos de Mayo is the heart of the Barrio de Maravillas, a typical quarter of Madrid bounded by Calles Hortaleza, San Bernardo, Carranza and Sagasta. Its central point was originally the Church of the Virgen de las Maravillas in Calle de la Palma.In and around the square numerous bars and cafes, mainly patronized by the younger generation. From literary cafes such as the Commercial in the Plaza de Bilbao, the Cafe de Ruiz in Calle Ruiz and El Parnasillo in Calle San Andrés to modern establishments including the Art Deco cafe El Sol de Mayo and the avant-garde Vià Láctea, every style is represented and every taste is catered for. In summer the pavement cafes round the square are busy until late at night, patronized by local people and evening strollers.
Transit: Metro: Bilbao; Bus: 12, 147, M7.
In the Plaza del Dos de Mayo are the remains of the palace of the Dukes of Monteleón, built in 1690, which was destroyed by fire in 1723. Thereafter Manual Godoy, Charles IV's Minister, installed an artillery depot here.When Napoleon's troops marched into Madrid and the population rose to resist the intruders the square was the scene of heavy fighting on May 2, 1808. Under the command of two artillery officers, Daoiz and Velarde, who are commemorated by a monument in the center of the square, the people of Madrid put up fierce resistance to Marshal Murat's forces. At last, however, the barracks in which they had entrenched themselves was taken by the French and the defenders were shot at the foot of the Montaña del Priàncipe. The entrance doorway of the Palacio de Monteleón survives as a reminder of these dramatic events, which seem strangely at odds with the quiet and friendly atmosphere of the square as it is today.
The Baroque Church of San Martín, built in 1761 by an unknown architect, stands in the Plaza de Luna in Madrid, just off the Gran Vía with its busy traffic. The brick facade with its two towers may have been designed by Churriguera. The church has fine effigies of saints by Pedro de Mena, Gregorio Hernández, José Mora and Pedro Alonso de los Ríos and pictures by Claudio Coello, Juan Ricci and Carreño. In the earlier Church of San Martín the writer Francisco de Quevedo is said to have had a gallant encounter with a lady which made it necessary for him to flee to Italy.
The Church of San Marcos, the last of the great Baroque buildings of Madrid, stands in the old Amaniel district, and is immediately northeast of the Gran Vía and the Edificio de España. San Marcos was designed by Ventura Rodríguez (1717-85), who modeled his plan of five intersecting ellipses on the churches of Bernini and Borromini. The interior, dominated by its central dome, with ceiling-paintings by Roberto Michael and Luís González, is of impressive effect.
Map of Madrid Attractions