Campo Grande, Lisbon
The 1.2km/0.75mi long and 200m/656ft wide Campo Grande park stretches from the Entrecampos roundabout to the expressway in the north. This area was already used by the public in the 16th C. The legendary Dom Sebastiao allowed his troops to practice here before he set off on a crusade to Morocco.The park began to be planted with selected species of trees and shrubs in the late 18th C. For a long time the park was used mostly by aristocratic citizens for weekend excursions and today many city dwellers continue to spend their Sunday afternoons here.Visitors can hire a rowing boat on the small lake or sit at the attractive cafe. However, the peace which used to prevail here in earlier decades cannot be found today; several carriageways flank the length of the park to left and right, and, in addition, the Campo Grande lies directly below the last few meters of the approach path of Portela airport.
Campo Grande Map
Address: Campo Grande - 1700 Lisboa, Portugal
Transit: Subway: Entrecampos; Bus: 1, 7, 7A, 17B, 21, 27, 32, 36, 38, 44, 45, 46A, 47, 49, 83, 90.
In 1739 Joao V had the Palácio Piomenta on the northern end of the Campo Grande built for his mistress, the nun Madre Paula from the Odivelas convent. In 1962 the city of Lisbon set up in this palace a museum in which the history of the development of the city is extensively documented.On view are Roman excavation finds, historical paintings of the conquest of the Castelo de Sao Jorge by the Portuguese, old navigation charts, documents from the "Golden Age", architectural models and pieces saved from buildings after the earthquake (such as the "diamond stones" from the Casa dos Bicos. Panoramic views of the city before the earthquake occupy a wide room, together with pictures of the earthquake itself and a collection of foreign reaction to the catastrophe. A large 1959 model of the city and its surroundings before 1755 is very interesting. Various plans for the reconstruction of the Baixa, drawings of old wells and of the Aqueduto das Águas Livres complete the exhibits.It is also worth seeing the fully equipped kitchen of the old palace, some living rooms and lovely azulejo wall pictures.
Address: Palácio Pimenta - Campo Grande, 245, 1700-091 Lisboa, Portugal
Opening hours: 10am-1pm, 2pm-6pm; Closed: Mon
Always closed on: New Year's Day (Jan 1), Anniversity of the Revolution - Portugal (Apr 25), May Day / Labor Day (May 1), National Day - Portugal (Jun 10), Assumption Day - Christian (Aug 15), Republic Day - Portugal (Oct 5), All Saints' Day - Christian (Nov 1), Feast of the Immaculate Conception (Dec 8), Independence Day - Portugal (Dec 1), Christmas - Christian (Dec 25), Good Friday - Christian, Corpus Christi - Christian
Entrance fee in EUR: Adult €1.90
Useful tips: Admission is free on Sundays.
Disability Access: Full facilities for persons with disabilities.
Transit: Bus: 1, 7, 36, 101; Metro: Campo Grande
Praça de Touros
The bullring, built in the Neo Manueline style in 1892 to the plans of the architect António José Dias, stands on the Campo Pequeno, next to the busy Avenida da República. Bullfights were already being held on this spot in the 18th C. The building appears very colorful on account of its red brick, which is rare for Lisbon. Arabic associations are evoked in particular by the twin windows and the four tower like porches, which bear the Moorish inspired double dome. Crescent moons decorate the points of the domes. The main entrance is flanked by two additional domed towers linked by a stepped gable. The diameter of the arena measures 80m/263ft.Bullfights usually take place here once a week during the summer season; the arena can seat more than 8,000 spectators. Recently the Praça de Touros has also been used frequently for concerts.
The "Guerra Peninsular" monument, a reminder of the battles against the Napoleonic invasion at the beginning of the 19th C., stands in the middle of the Entrecampos roundabout. Scenes of resistance are depicted on the plinth, with the victorious Portuguese nation portrayed above. Some soldiers are driving off the eagle of the Napoleonic empire. The memorial, whose design exhibits a variety of NeoManueline features, was erected here in 1933.
Map of Lisbon Attractions