Avenida da Liberdade, Lisbon
One of the most important arterial roads in Lisbon is the Avenida da Liberdade. The 90m/295ft wide road gradually climbs over a distance of about 1.5km/1mi from the Praça dos Restauradores to the Praça Marques de Pombal at the southern end of the Parque Eduardo VII.The boulevard, built in 1879, forms a connecting axis between the old 18th C. quarters of the Baixa and the northern parts of the city which developed in the 19th and the 20th centuries.
Avenida da Liberdade Map
Transit: Tram: 20, 25, 26; Bus: 1, 2, 6, 9, 11, 12, 20, 21, 22, 23, 27, 31, 32, 36, 38, 39, 41, 44, 45, 46, 48, 49, 53, 88, 90.
The building immediately next to the Elevador da Glória, which forms the beginning of the Avenida da Liberdade, bears the name "Cafe Palladium". Nowadays, a shopping center is to be found behind its highly decorated exterior.
Twin Rivers of Portugal
Shortly before the junction of the Praça da Alegria and the Rua das Pretas two water courses border the length of the road between lush greenery. A figure sits at the end of each fountain, pouring water from a jug. The two figures symbolize Portugal's most important rivers. The Tagus is represented on the eastern side opposite the Douro on the west, which enters the Atlantic at Oporto. The allegories were created by the sculptor Alexandre Gomes for the old Passeio Público and are the only relics along the Avenida da Liberdade dating from this time. A similar representation of Tejo and Douro can be found on the triumphal arch leading to the Rua Augusta on the Praça do Comércio.
Praça da Alegria
A circular park, dedicated to the artist Alfredo Keil (1850-1907), has been laid out on the small Praça da Alegria, which is located behind the row of houses on the Avenida da Liberdade. The bronze bust, placed there in 1957, was created by Teixeira Lopes, a sculptor famous in Portugal. Alfredo Keil was a painter, writer and, above all, a composer. His opera "A Serrana" ("The Girl from the Mountains") is generally considered to be Portugal's national opera and his song "A Portuguesa" ("The Girl from Portugal") was declared the national anthem of the Portuguese Republic in 1911.
Mortos da Grande Guerra
The most impressive monument on the Avenida da Liberdade is the war memorial, erected to honor the Portuguese soldiers who died in the First World War.
Travessa do Saliter
In the Travessa do Saliter - a short way from the Avenida da Liberdade - can be found an entrance to the so called Parque Mayer. This "pleasure park" has existed here since 1922 on land once belonging to the Lima Mayer family, whose city palace still remains in the neighboring Rua do Saliter (no. 1).The Parque Mayer contains four theaters, constructed in the 1920s and 1930s: Maria Vitória, Variedades, Capitólio and ABC. Particularly in the 1940s and 1950s the extraordinarily well loved revistas were performed here. These were a special form of lively musical theater, peculiar to Lisbon, with shades of satire and even veiled criticism of the times of dictatorship. The first Portuguese films, produced in the 1930s, took on substantial elements of the revistas.
Cinema S. Jorge
The Cinema S. Jorge was built at the end of the 1940s by Fernando Silva and underwent fundamental alterations in 1980. The original, very spaciously designed cinema was then divided into three smaller cinemas.
Rua Rosa Araúja
On the Rua Rosa Araúja a memorial was erected in 1936, dedicated to the initiator of the Avenida da Liberdade: Rosa Araúja held the office of mayor, when it was decided to build this boulevard. The figure of a woman wearing a crown shaped like a small tower is meant to embody the city of Lisbon. She is presenting the mayor with a bunch of flowers as thanks for the avenue that enhances the city.
Diário de Noticias
The editorial offices of the Diário de Noticias were built in 1936 by the architect Pardal Monteiro and were awarded the Valmor Prize in 1940, a prize regularly presented since the turn of the century to newly erected buildings.The offices of the old established daily paper were formerly in the Bairro Alto in the present day Rua do Diário de Noticias. In the entrance hall can be seen a painting by Almada Negreiros, one of Portugal's most famous 20th C. artists.
Aero Clube de Portugal
One of the oldest houses on the Avenida da Liberdade is the building housing the Aero Clube de Portugal. It was built in 1888 according to plans drawn up by the Frenchman Henri Lusseau.
Houses Numbered 206-218 Avenida da Liberdade
During the first decade of this century many of the houses in Lisbon were designed by the architect Norte Júnior and many were awarded the Valmor Prize, including building no. 206-218, which received it in 1916.
Former Tivoli Cinema
One of the most striking buildings is the Neo-Classical no. 188, the former Tivoli cinema, built in 1924 by the architect Raul Lino. Today films are no longer shown, instead various larger functions (concerts, etc.) take place here. The kiosk, which stood in front of the Tivoli cinema, was installed here in 1925 by the directorship of the Diário de Noticias. It has been maintained as the last of several of its type which once stood in the Avenida da Liberdade.
Casa Lambertini, built by Nicola Bagaglia, dates from 1901. Unique on the Avenida da Liberdade is the mosaic on its exterior composed of small stones and depicting stylized flowers on a gold ground.
Palácia Nunes Correia Almedina
In 1895 the Palácia Nunes Correia Almedina was constructed according to the plans of Luis Cinatti. Today it accommodates the EPAL (City Waterworks).
A short distance from the Avenida da Liberdade, where there is an exit from the Rua das Portas de Santo Antao/Rua S. José, is the Lavra lift. It was opened in 1884 as the city's first funicular railroad and thus constitutes the oldest of the four elevadores still in existence in Lisbon.From the upper station the following can easily be reached: the Jardim de Torel viewpoint on the Rua de Júlio de Andrade, the Campo dos Mártires da Pátria with its charming park and the memorial to Dr Sousa Martins.
Map of Lisbon Attractions