Sights to the South and West
The north-south axis of Linz is the Landstrasse, 1,200m/0.75mi long, from the Promenade towards the main railroad station. On the east side stand the Ursuline Church (Ursulinenkirche, 1732-72) and the Carmelite Church (Karmelitenkirche, 1674-1726). To the east, in Harrachstrasse, the Seminary Church (Seminarkirche) is a small round church with a fine interior, built in 1717-25 for the Teutonic Order.
Parallel to the Landstrasse in Linz on the west runs Herrenstrasse, on the western side of which stands the New Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception (Neuer Dom, Maria-Empfängnis-Dom), a three-aisled Neo-Gothic pillared basilica of yellow sandstone with an ambulatory surrounded by a ring of chapels. This massive building, constructed between 1862 and 1924 to the plans of the Cologne architect Vinzenz Statz, covers a rather larger area than St Stephen's Cathedral in Vienna and has a tower 135m/445ft high. The great organ was built in 1968. In the crypt lies the grave of the greatest of all the bishops of Linz, Franz Josef Rudigier.The cathedral includes a spectacular stained glass window called the "Linz-Window," depicting the history of the town.Also worth noting is a large nativity scene kept in the crypt. The figures ware by Sebastian Osterrieder.
To the northeast of the Linz New Cathedral, in Herrenstrasse, stands the Bishop's Palace (Bischöfliches Palais; 1721-26).The Bishop's Palace, also known as the Bischofshof, was built between 1721 and 1726 by Franz Michael Pruckmayer, based on designs by Jakob Prandtauer. The building was originally part of the Kremsmünster monastery, but later became the seat of the bishop of Linz.An iron gateway and staircase designed by Valentin Hoffman in 1227 has been preserved on the site and can still be seen.
Some 300m/325yds west of the Linz New Cathedral stands the Capuchin Church (Kapuzinerkirche; 1660-62). Here, marked by an epitaph, lies buried the heart of Count Montecuccoli, victor over the Turks in the battle of Mogersdorf (1664), and who died at Linz in 1680.
Botanic Gardens and Stadium
To the west of the town of Linz, on the eastern slopes of the Freinberg (336m/1,102ft) are the Botanic Gardens and the Stadium. Higher up, in Freinberger Strasse, are the Linz radio transmitter and a Jesuit convent, with a massive round tower which formed part of the town's defenses in 1835.
Map of Linz Attractions