From the Jaffa Gate to the Western Wall (Wailing Wall), Jerusalem
The Jaffa Gate (Hebrew Sha'ar Yafo; Arabic Bab el-Khalil, the Hebron Gate), through which the road to Jaffa leaves Jerusalem, is the link between the Old City and the new Jewish town to the west and apart from the Damascus Gate is the most important means of access to the Old City, declared by UNESCO in 1981 a cultural monument which must be preserved. The gate is set in the circuit of walls built by Sultan Suleiman the Magnificent in the 16th century. The gap in the walls to the right of the gate was opened up by the Turkish authorities in 1898 to allow the German Emperor and Empress to drive into the Old City; it now enables motor traffic to enter.
Immediately south of the Jaffa Gate in Jerusalem is the Citadel, popularly known as David's Tower (though strictly speaking this is only one of its towers). It has, however, no connection with David, having been erected by Herod to protect the palace he built around 24 B.C. to the south of the Citadel. Its three towers were named after Herod's brother Phasael, his wife Mariamne and his friend Hippicus. After Titus's conquest of Jerusalem in A.D. 70 the Romans stationed a garrison in the Citadel. Thereafter it fell into disrepair and was successively repaired and rebuilt by Crusaders, Mamelukes and Turks. What is now called David's Tower was built in the 14th century on the foundations of Phasael's Tower; the northwest tower occupies the site of Hippicus's Tower.The Citadel now houses a museum on the history of Jerusalem and a folk museum and has some interesting excavations. From the Citadel, and particularly from David's Tower, there are superb views of the city. In the evening (except on Friday) an impressive son et lumière show on the history of Jerusalem is presented in the Citadel.
Opposite the entrance to the Citadel in Jerusalem is Christ Church (Anglican), built in 1849.
The Jewish Quarter, badly damaged in 1948 but rebuilt in 1967, is home to a significant number of synagogues.