Ashizuri-Uwaki National Park
The Ashizuri-Uwakai National Park, established in 1972, takes in the coastal region of southern Shikoku, extending around the towns of Tatsukushi and Minokoshi and reaching down to Cape Ashizuri, the southernmost tip of the island. The rugged southwest coast of Shikoku and the offshore islands are also included within the park.This region with its sleepy little fishing villages offers some of the finest coastal scenery in Japan.
Tosa-Shimizu (pop 26,000) on the east side of the park, is a port with considerable deep-sea fisheries. From here a road 8mi/ 13km long, Ashizuri Skyline, runs south to Cape Ashizuri, where there is a lighhouse (the subject of very popular sings in Japan).The buses to Cape Ashizuri take two different routes, one along the west coast, the other through the middle of the promontory; there is also a road along the east coast. In the bays to the north of the promontory, with cliffs rising to 260ft/ 80m, there is a very heavy surf. The vegetation is subtropical (many camellias).From Mount Shiraozan (1,421ft/ 433m) there is a magnificent view of the sea. Near the white lighthouse stands the Kongofukuji Temple, first built by Kobo-daishi in 822. The present buildings date from 1662. The temple, dedicated to the Thousand-Handed Kannon, is the 38th of the 88 pilgrimage temples on Shikoku. It contains a statue of John Manjiro, who was saved from the shipwreck of an American ship in 1841 and after living in the United States for many years returned to Japan.