Citta di Castello Tourist Attractions
SituationCittà di Castello lies on the Tiber in northern Umbria - some 50km/30mi north of Perugia. It is a busy commercial center (tobacco growing, printing industry) and has some important art collections.The central feature of the town, which is still partly surrounded by its old walls, is the Piazza Matteotti, enclosed by fine old palaces, among which the Palazzo Vitelli (16th century). Close to the Palazzo Vitelli stands the Palazzo Albizzini (15th century), in which are displayed the works of the Italian "arte povera" artist Alberto Burri (d. 1995).
To the west of the Piazza Matteotti is the Piazza Gabriotti, in which stands the fine rusticated Palazzo Comunale (Town Hall). Beyond this, on the west, is the Cathedral of Santi Florido e Amanzio, originally 11th century but remodeled in Renaissance style in the 15th and 16th centuries. The treasury contains an embossed silver antepedium with designs in silver-gilt (c. 1150). On the west side of the square is the little Giardino Pubblico.
Southeast of the cathedral is the Gothic church of San Domenico (1424), with old frescoes and a pretty monastic courtyard.
Near the church by the town wall stands the fine Palazzo Vitelli della Cannoniera, which contains the municipal picture collection, with numerous altarpieces (13th-15th century), a maestà by the master of Città di Castello (13th century), early work by Raffael and the "Martyrdom of St Sebastian" by Luca Signorelli.
North of Piazza Matteotti stands the church of San Francesco (1273; interior refurbished in the Baroque style in 1707), with a Vitelli Chapel built by Vasari.