Rosh Pinna Tourist Attractions
Situation and characteristicsRosh Pinna, 26km/16mi north of Tiberias and 10km/6mi east of Safed, was the first Jewish village in Upper Galilee. It owes its present importance to its airport, which handles domestic flights. Immigrants from Romania settled in this rocky country in 1882, calling their village Rosh Pinna ("Cornerstone") after Psalm 118,22. With financial help from Baron Edmond de Rothschild they were able to cultivate the land and develop the area.
From Rosh Pinna a road runs northeast, passing the kibbutz of Mishmar Hayarden (on left), to the Benot Ya'aqov ("Daughters of Jacob") Bridge over the Jordan (8km/5mi).The bridge owes its name to a local legend that the patriarch Jacob passed this way with his family and that at Jacob's Ford his daughters foretold the fate of his son Joseph.According to tradition Joseph was cast by his brothers into a well in the caravanserai of Gov Yosef (Jacob's Well) and then sold to Midianite merchants who carried him off to Egypt. Gov Yosef is the name of a ruined caravanserai near the kibbutz of Ammiad (6km/4mi south of Rosh Pinna to the west of the road to Tiberias). The Bible, however, gives Jacob only one daughter, Dinah, and locates the event elsewhere: when Joseph was sent by Jacob to join his brothers in Shechem he traveled on the old royal highway through Samaria to Shechem and from there went on to Dothan, where he found his brothers and was sold by them to the merchants (Genesis 37,12-28).The Crusaders, harking back to the old tradition, named the place Jacob's Ford and believed that it was here that Jacob wrestled with the angel - though this too was in contradiction to the Bible, which sets the incident at the ford on the river Jabbok (now Nahr ez-Zarqa), between Amman and Jerash in present-day Jordan (Genesis 32, 24f.). In 1178, to defend the crossing, King Baldwin IV built the castle of Chastellet, which was destroyed by Saladin only a year later.On various occasions in the 20th century the Benot Ya'aqov Bridge, the only one over the upper Jordan, has been of strategic importance. From here British forces twice advanced into Syria, during the First World War, when Syria was held by the Turks, and in the Second World War, when it was controlled by Vichy France. In June 1946 the bridge was blown up, along with ten other bridges, by the Haganah, the Jewish underground organization, in protest against British policy in the mandated territory.A road now runs over the bridge to the Golan Heights.
Hazor HaGelilit, Israel
2km/1.25mi north of Rosh Pinna is the town of Hazor HaGelilit, founded in 1953, which with its population has outstripped Rosh Pinna. It takes its name from Tel Hazor, 8km/5mi north.