There are a number of interesting sights within a short distance of Nazareth.
Situation and characteristicsThe little town of Cana (Kafr Kanna), 8km/5mi northeast of Nazareth on the road to Tiberias, is famed as the place where Jesus performed his first miracle, the changing of water at the "marriage in Cana of Galilee" (John 2,1-11). In this attractive little town, with a population of both Christians and Muslims, there are two churches commemorating the event.
In the center of Cana is a Franciscan church consecrated in 1883. Tradition has it that it occupies the site of the house in which the marriage was celebrated. In the nave, just before the steps leading down to the crypt, is a Hebrew inscription commemorating "Joseph, son of Tanhum" (third or fourth century). In the church visitors are shown an old jar, claimed to be one of the six in which the water was changed.
Greek Orthodox Church
Opposite the Franciscan church in Cana is a rather dilapidated Greek Orthodox church, built in 1556 on the site of an earlier mosque. Here too there are two stone jars which are said to have been involved in the miracle (though in fact they are probably no more than 300 years old).
At the north end of Cana is the Nathanael Chapel, which also belongs to the Franciscans. It was built at the end of the 19th century in honor of Nathanael, a man of Cana who was initially prejudiced against Jesus ("Can there any good thing come out of Nazareth?") but then worshipped him as the Son of God (John 1,46-49) and was also present when the risen Christ appeared to the disciples at the Sea of Tiberias (John 21,2).