Amana Colonies Tourist Attractions
The settlement of Amana was founded in 1850 by "Inspirationists" of German origin - the first of seven villages in eastern Iowa in which they led a God-fearing life and tilled their communally owned land. A local museum traces the history of the sect, which adopted 20th C ways of life only in 1932.
Amana Woolen Mill
The Amana Woolen Mill was established in 1857 and is still in operation. Machinery and skills were brought with the Germans when they immigrated to America. The Amana Woolen Mill has had a colorful history, surviving fires, floods and wind storms.
Krauss Furniture Shop
Mini-Americana Barn Museum
Mini-Americana Barn Museum in South Amana has a collection of miniature buildings that are typical of late 19th C Amana and Iowa villages and farms.
Museums of the Amana Heritage Society
The Museums of the Amana Heritage Society are housed in four separate locations and present the history, beliefs and culture of the Amana Colonies settlers.
Address: 4310 220th Trail, Box 81, Amana, IA 52203-0081, United States
Entrance fee in USD: Family $15.00, Adult $8.00, Child 17 & under FREE
Guides: Interpretive sessions sometimes available. Guided tour available as optional extra.
Facilities: Gift shop
Communal Agriculture Museum
The Communal Agriculture Museum in the Amana Colonies is located in a barn which was built in 1850. The barn housed oxen and later horses.The large beams were cut from native timber. Artifacts on display include equipment for planting, plowing and harvesting; haymaking equipment; road graders; tools and equipment for livestock management.
Museum of Amana History
The Museum of Amana History is made up of of three 19th C buildings. The Noé House which was built in 1864 was originally a communal kitchen and later a doctor's residence. The Schoolhouse was built in 1870 and houses toys, dolls, handwork, carpet weaving, and a communal Amana school display. The original washhouse/woodshed features gardening displays.
Communal Kitchen and Coopershop Museum
Built in 1863, the "Rüdy Küche" (Ruedy Kitchen) is the only intact communal-era kitchen remaining in the Amana Colonies.It has been preserved as it appeared in 1932 when it served community members for the last time. The coopershop, built c 1863, exhibits tools and products of the cooper's trade.
Community Church Museum
The Amana Community church building in the Amana Colonies is one of seven Amana village churches of the Community of True Inspiration. The church was built in 1865 from local brick. The religious background and history of the Community of True Inspiration are offered.