Djupivogur Tourist Attractions
Djúpivogur, a quiet fishing village at the head of Berufjord has 450 residents and a trading history reaching back to 1589. It has served as a commercial port since the 16th C and survived through the inception and heyday of the Danish trade monopoly.The oldest houses (1788-1818) date back to the Danish period. One of them, Langa-Búð (1790), has been renovated and transformed into a nice restaurant and a museum.
The towering mountain Búlandstindur at 1,069 m/3,500ft, dominates the landscape. Easily recognized because of its pyramidal shape many believe the mountain to be a source of cosmic power, and others enjoy the strenuous ascent.
Goðaborg (Castle of the Gods)
The Castle of the Gods (Goðaborg) is a 1420m/4,660ft high mountain ridge to the east of Mt Búlandstindur.Immediately after the acceptance of Christianity in the year 1000, Iceland's pagan priests demolished the idols in their temples threw them over the edge of this ridge.Another tale tells how a young shepherd found gold in his shoes after he discovered a stash of stones inside the mountain guarded by an unfriendly bull.It is believed the mountain may contain gold and the area is rich in jasper and marble.
The log house of Langa-Búð c 1790, the oldest house in Djúpivogur, houses a museum for Ríkharður Jónsson, the sculptor, as well as a gallery for local crafts and a coffee shop.
Teigarhorn is a farm, about 4 km/2.5mi west of Djúpivogur, world-famous for the scolecite crystals gathered in the area and houses an exhibition of them.The first continuous weather observations in East Iceland commenced there in 1874.
Djáknadys Highway Marker
Djáknadys is an unusual pile of stones beside the road that passing travelers add to to prevent bad luck on the road.