Kobanya (Quarry) Tourist Attractions
Kobánya (Quarry) forms District X of Budapest. Its name indicates that, until late into the last century, building stone was quarried here. In the lengthy tunnels various beers are now stored and mushrooms grown.In the center of Kobánya stands the Church of St Ladislaus (Szent László-templom), which was designed by Ödön Lechner and built at the turn of the century. The architecture combines elements of Neo-Gothic and Secessionist styles. There is some fine Zsolnay ceramic work to be seen on the altars and pulpit.
In the most easterly part of Kobánya lies the vast New Cemetery (Új köztemeto) with several thousand burial plots. Many of the victims of the 1956 uprising are buried here. On June 16th 1989, the 31st anniversary of his execution, the body of Imre Nagy, prime minister in 1956, was reentered in burial plot 301, together with those of his comrades.
The Budapest HUNGEXPO exhibition grounds are situated in the north of Kobánya. International fairs are held here every year (May and September/October) and there is also a tourism exhibition in March which is well attended. Every five years one of the largest agricultural shows in eastern Europe is held here.
Fire Brigade Museum
The Budapest Fire Brigade Museum (Tuzoltó Múzeum) contains not only documents about the history of the fire brigade but also a collection of rare historic fire-fighting equipment.
Greek-Catholic Trinity Chapel
The Greek-Catholic Trinity Chapel (Kápolna) is one of the oldest buildings in Kobánya. This little Baroque church dates from c 1740 and has a very fine Baroque altar.
Rottenbill Park is named after a former Burgomaster of Pest. Zoltán Kiss created the impressive red granite statue of Don Quixote.
More on PlanetWare