Bekescsaba Tourist Attractions
Békéscsaba, the capital of the Békés region, lies 210km (130mi.) southeast of Budapest in the center of Hungary's most fertile wheat-growing area. There are indications that it was inhabited back in the year 1300, but the town died completely during the turmoil of the Turkish wars. In 1718 the great landowner Baron Harruckern arranged for Slovaks from Upper Hungary to settle here, as a result of which Békéscsaba is still the focal point of the Slovak minority living in Hungary. In addition to Slovaks, Germans came here from the Rhineland and Romania. This region is also known as "Stormy Corner", because at the turn of the century the rural population resorted to large-scale strikes and demonstrations in support of their struggle for rights.Békéscsaba has begun to prosper again after the change from Socialist regime. The town has several museums, a theatre, and a notable Baroque church.
Mihály Munkácsy Museum
The major 19th C. Hungarian painter (1844-1909, was apprenticed to a cabinet-maker in Békéscsaba, and later lived and worked in Vienna, Munich, Düsseldorf and Paris. Munkácsy, whose real name was Lieb and who was descended from a Bavarian family who had settled in Hungary 200 years earlier, became famous for his realistic genre scenes and still lifes. Some of his works and personal effects are on display in the museum, together with some beautiful and rare specimens of the local fauna as well as folklore items. In front of the museum stands a statue of Munkácsy by Miklós Borsos.
The building, built between 1807-24 in the classical 18th C. plait style, is the largest Evangelical church in Hungary. It has galleries on two levels, providing seating for a congregation of 2900. The church tower is 70m (230ft) high.
Slovak Local Museum
The right bank of the ElúvÍz Canal - lined with sculptures of famous men born in the town - leads to the Árpád fürdo baths, with alkaline water containing hydrogen carbonate which reaches temperatures of 74°C (165°F).