Isle of Mull
The largely treeless island of Mull (pop. 2,400) is the third-biggest of the Hebridean islands. As a holiday destination it offers impressive scenery, footpaths for walkers and sport and leisure facilities including golf, pony trekking and water sports. The south and east of the island are mountainous with peaks of 3,000ft/915m. On the other hand the hills in the north are lower and the vegetation and wildlife are similar to those found on Skye.
Dervaig's Little Theatre
An old cow shed near Dervaig is home to Britain's smallest theater (43 seats). There are performances throughout the year.
Tobermory (pop. 650) is the main town on the Isle of Mull. Colorful houses overlook the ferry terminal and fishing harbor in this busy tourist center. The settlement was founded in 1788 and its name derives from "Mary's spring" near the chapel ruins to the west of the town. In 1588 the "Florencia" a fully-laden ship belonging to the Spanish Armada sank off the coast, but only a few coins have been found from the treasure that was thought to have been on board.
The main road on the island of Mull (A848, A849) follows the Sound of Mull from Tobermory to Craignure in the southeast.
Between April and October a miniature railroad runs from Craignure's old pier to Torosay Castle.
The early Victorian Torosay Castle was designed in 1858 by David Bryce. The interior is Edwardian in style while the beautiful terraced garden, laid out by Sir John Lorimer, is decorated with Italian marble statues, rhododendron and eucalyptus trees.There is also informal woodland and a water garden.
Duart Castle stands in a prominent position on the eastern tip of Duart Bay. Dating from the 13th century, this seat of the MacLean family was left to decay in the 17th century. Restoration took place in 1911 under Sir Fitzroy MacLean. The keep (ca. 1360) houses an exhibition on the history of the clan.Views from the Sea Room and the battlements are among the best on Scotland's west coast.
The scenery along the southern coast of Mull to the west of Carsaig is particularly impressive. At low tide a footpath about 3mi/4.8km long leads to the huge arches and tunnels known as Carsaig Arches which have been forged out of the black basalt by the waves. Nuns are said to have used the caves as hide-outs during the Reformation.
Gruline - Macquarie Mausoleum
The Macquarie Mausoleum on the Isle of Mull is on the Gruline Estate. Lachlan Macquarie, who was born nearby at Ulva Ferry in 1761, died in 1824 after distinguished service as Governor of New South Wales and was known as 'the father of Australia'. The property is managed by the National Trust of Scotland.
Volcanic eruptions many millions of years ago formed the distinctive stepped outline of the peninsula. A 5mi/8km long footpath, in parts rather treacherous, runs alongside Loch Scridain to MacCulloch's Fossil Tree, that was encased in lava about 50 million years ago.