Vienna Gate Square, Gyor Bécsi Kapu tér
This open area on the Rába, formerly known as "Republic Square", is one of the most beautiful Baroque squares in Hungary. Lying between Káptalan Hill in the north and the impressive façade of the Carmelite church, the Baroque and 18th C plait style houses bear witness to the town's great past.On the square stands a memorial to Károly Kisfaludy (1788-1830), the well-known Hungarian dramatist.
Vienna Gate Square Map
Anyone entering the town on Road 1 from the west or 83 from the south will be greeted by the grandiose Neo-Baroque Town Hall (Városháza). U-shaped in plan and built in 1896-98, it boasts a tower 58m (190ft) high. Concerts, such as the Gyor Musical Summer program, are often performed in the magnificent festival hall.There are a few parking places in front of and near the Town Hall, and the Old Town is within easy walking distance.
The magnificent Baroque edifice of the Karmelita templom (1721-25) on the southern edge of Bécsi kapu tér is the work of Martin Athanasius from the Austrian Tirol. It is modeled on the Carmelite church in Rome, and thus is one of the few examples of Italian Baroque to be found in Hungary. In a chapel-niche to the right of the main doorway can be seen what is probably the best known Hungarian sculpture of the Virgin Mary, by the Venetian sculptor Giovanni Giuliani (1663-1744), who lived in Austria. The pictures on the high altar are of SS Stephen and Emmerich paying homage to the Virgin Mary. Those on the side-altars (1726-27) are by the Neapolitan Martino Altomonte, a major Austrian Baroque artist, and depict the Fall of St John Nepomuk into the River Vltava, the Death of St Joseph and the Death of St John of the Cross and Teresa of Avila, both Carmelite mystics. The sculptures in the church are the work of Franz Richter, also a Carmelite monk.
Napoleon House is the former Eszterházy Palace; on the first floor can be found the art gallery owned by the János Xantus Museum. Today the house is called either after its owner or alternatively Napoleon House, the Emperor having stayed here on August 21st 1809.