Western Peloponnese Attractions
The western region of the Peloponnese covers the area from Patras to the town of Gargaliani and includes numerous towns and archaeological sites.In the summer of 2007 some areas of the Western Peloponnese were severely affected by forests fires.
The Messenian town of Kyparissía, chief town of the district of Trifylia, lies near the west coast of the Peloponnese on the slopes of Mt Psykhró (218m/715ft).In antiquity this was the port of Messene. During the Middle Ages it was known as Arkadiá, having provided a home for refugees from Slav-occupied Arcadia. Its castle has a history going back to ancient times, and in later centuries was enlarged and strengthened by the Byzantines and the Crusaders, who captured it in 1204; it is commandingly situated, with extensive views. The town was destroyed by Ibrahim Pasha in 1825 during a punitive expedition against the rebellious Greeks.
Surroundings of Kyparissía 14km/9mi south on the coast road is Filiátra. The road then turns inland to Gargalianí (5km/3mi) and continues via Khóra to Pylos, 69km/43mi from Kyparissía.
Filiatra - Vlahernia Festival
At Filiatra, 15km from Kyparissía, there is an annual arts festival in July. During the first ten days of the month the "Vlahernia" events take place and include theatrical and dance performances.
Andrítsena is the agricultural center of the area. It also boasts an excellent library with important historical manuscripts.From here you can reach the Temple of Apollo at Bassai.
Five km/3mi southeast of Kaiáfas is the little coastal town of Zákharo and 8km/5mi beyond this Tholon, where a road goes off on the left to Káto Figalía (14km/8.5mi).
Kaiáfas, 21km/13mi south of Pyrgos on the west coast of the Peloponnese, has been famed since ancient times for its medicinal springs. It has beautiful long sandy beaches.The coastal road from Pyrgos goes on to Kaiáfa, a hot springs resort built in the middle of the lake and known since antiquity.
Kato Akhaia, Greece
20km/12.5mi southwest of Patras, on a road running close to the coast, is Káto Akhaía, on the site of ancient Dyme.
Kalogria (Cape Áraxos - Patras)
Beyond Káto Akhaía the road turns away from the coast and comes to Áraxos, at the south end of a long coastal lagoon. On a hill which rises above the lagoon at this point are the remains of massive walls belonging to the Early Helladic settlement of Kalogria. At the north end of the lagoon is Cape Áraxos.