Tenos Attractions Tínos
Area of island: 195 sq. km/75 sq. miChief place: TínosTínos is the southeastern continuation of the mountain massif which extends from Euboea by way of Ándros.
Its highest peak is Mt Tsikniás (713m/2,339ft), at the east end of the island. The inhabitants live by farming (terraced fields). Characteristic features of the landscape are the Venetian-style tower-like dovecots, of which there are some 1,300. There are also numerous windmills.In ancient times, from the third century B.C. onwards, the sanctuary of Poseidon and Amphitrite on Tenos was a major religious center, and in more recent times, since the early 19th century, the island has possessed a leading shrine of the Orthodox church. Held by Venice from 1207 to 1712, Tínos had the longest period of Frankish occupation of any part of Greece, and in consequence its population includes a considerable proportion of Roman Catholics. The Orthodox population began to increase from 1822, when - during the war of liberation from the Turks - a nun named Pelagia, guided by a vision, found a wonderworking icon of the Panayía, which soon became the object of annual pilgrimages on the feasts of the Annunciation (March 25) and Dormition (August 15), so that Tínos developed into a kind of Greek Lourdes.The island came into international prominence when on August 15, 1940, two months before Mussolini's declaration of war, an Italian submarine torpedoed the Greek cruiser "Elli", which was lying in Tínos harbor for the feast of the Dormition.
From the harbor at Tínos a broad processional way leads up (15-minute walk) to the Orthodox pilgrimage church of the Panayía Evangelístria, an imposing structure built between 1823 and 1830 using stone from the sanctuary of Poseidon and the temple of Delian Apollo. The interior is richly furnished, its principal treasure being the wonderworking icon of the Panayía Megalokhóri. From the marble terrace there is a magnificent view.
Tinos Town, Greece
The island's capital, Tínos, a little town of whitewashed cube-shaped Cycladic houses, is a conspicuous sight above an open bay on the south coast. Originally a modest coastal village, it became the chief place on the island after the Turks destroyed the original capital on Mt Exómbourgo.It is worth visiting the town on "Our Lady's Feast Day" on August 15, when there are special festivities around the town.
Church of Our Lady
On a broad paved street in the town of Tenos stands the magnificent Church of Our Lady. Built in marble from Paros and Tenos itself, the church stands overlooking the town on the site where a miraculous icon of our lady was discovered.
Below the church of Panayía Evangelístria at Tínos is the Archeological Museum, which contains finds from the sanctuary of Poseidon and Amphitrite, including architectural elements (in the courtyard) and, on the upper floor, large pottery vessels, among them a pithos with relief decoration depicting the birth of Aphrodite from the head of a winged Zeus (seventh century B.C.).
Opening hours: 8:30am-3pm; Closed: Mon
Always opened on: Assumption Day - Christian (Aug 15), Óhi Day - Greece & Cyprus (Oct 28)
Always closed on: New Year's Day (Jan 1), Greek National Day (Mar 25), May Day / Labor Day (May 1), Day after Christmas, St Stephen's Day, Boxing Day (Dec 26), Christmas - Christian (Dec 25), Easter - Christian, Good Friday - Christian
Entrance fee: Adult Admission Cost, Concession or reduced rate Discount, Students from EU Free, Child 18 & under Free
Useful tips: Admission is free on Sundays between November and March and the first Sunday of each month except July.
The present town of Asty occupies the site of the ancient capital of Asty (fifth century B.C.) on the island of Tínos.
Sanctuary of Poseidon
On the ilsland of Tínos, at Kiónia, 4km/2.5mi west in Stavrós Bay (ancient harbor works) are the remains of the Poseidonion, the sanctuary of Poseidon and Amphitrite, the Hellenistic or later rebuilding of an earlier (fifth century) sanctuary, with a marble exedra at the east end and a sundial made by Andronikos.
13km/8mi north of Tínos town, on the southern and eastern slopes of Mt Exómbourgo, a steep-sided granite cone 553m/1,814ft high (ruined Venetian castle; panoramic views), are the surviving remains - three churches and a fountain-house - of the medieval capital of the island of Tínos. The town was devastated by the Turks.On the south side of the mountain there is a sanctuary of Demeter and Persephone.
In the northwest of the island of Tenos, to the south of Pánormos Bay (beach), are a number of marble quarries. The marble is widely used in the building of houses.
Panormos, Pyrgos & Isternia, Greece
Kekhrovouni - Our Lady of the Angels
At Kekhrovouni, the Church of Our Lady of the Angels, or Panayia ton Angelon, has the appearance of a Tinos village in medieval times.