Nemea Tourist Attractions
The ancient site of Neméa lies 4 km/2.5 mi west of the Neméa station on the Corinth-Árgos railroad line and the main road which runs parallel with the railroad.The name of Neméa, near the modern village of Iráklion in the northwestern Argolid, is linked with one of the labors of Herakles, the killing of the Nemean lion, and with a sanctuary of Zeus. It is also the place where, according to an ancient tradition, the seer Amphiaraos founded the Nemean Games in 1251 B.C., during the expedition of the Seven against Thebes. This took place on the occasion of the funeral ceremony for the king's infant son Opheltes, who was left unattended by his nurse when she went to show the Seven a spring and was fatally bitten by a snake. The Nemean Games were revived in 573 B.C. and thereafter were held in alternate years until the second century B.C., when they were transferred to Árgos.
Neméa Archeological Site - Doric temple
The main feature of the Neméa site is a Doric temple, originally with 6 x 12 very slender columns, three of which still stand, forming a prominent landmark. The temple was built in the fourth century B.C. on the site of an earlier Archaic temple (of which the crypt survives). Outside the east end can be seen the tufa substructure of an altar. To the south of the temple were a long guest-house or hostel (20m/66ft by 86m/282ft), over which a three-aisled Christian basilica was built in the fifth century, a palaistra and baths of the Hellenistic period, near the remains of which is a museum.
Print this map Doric, Ionic and Corinthian Orders Map
Neméa Archeological Museum
The Nemea Archeological Museum merits a visit to see its illuminating reconstructions and displays of old engravings. It contains numerous finds from the Nemea area and also displays a collection of pictures from the towns more recent history.
American excavations at the Neméa site have revealed the Stadion.
Beyond the turning for Nemea the Corinth-Árgos road reaches the Dervenáki pass. In a gorge near here Greek forces led by Kolokotronis defeated a much larger Turkish army under Dramali Pasha in August 1822.
Going west from the site of Neméa, we come in 15km/9mi to the site of ancient Phlious (remains of polygonal wall of acropolis on the right of the road).
26km/16mi beyond Phlious is Kaliáni, on the north side of the Stymphalian Lake, the scene of one of the labors of Herakles.
Stymphalian Lake, Greece
From Kiáton a road runs 35km/22mi southwest to the village of Stymfalía, on the Stymphalian Lake (alt. 740m/2,430ft), the scene of one of the labors of Herakles, the killing of the man-eating Stymphalian birds. Strabo believed that the spring at Kefalári, south of Argos, was an outflow from the Stymphalian Lake.
You may also be interested in:
More on PlanetWare