Khalki Tourist Attractions
To the west of Rhodes, at distances of up to 65km/40mi, are the islands of Alimniá and Khalkí (chief place Nimborió), a rocky island with a medieval castle and the remains of a temple of Apollo.Situated to the south of Tilos and west of Rhodes, Khalki has been inhabited since antiquity, when it must have been very prosperous, judging from the coins found by archeologists.Its name most probably reflects the copper ore (khalkos) once mined there.It is a small but mountainous island, just 28sq.km in area.The island capital and port is called Khalki or Nimborio. Situated on the southeast coast, its two-story houses with their tile roofs seem to climb up the sides of the hill overlooking the bay of the same name.Its church, Agios Nikolaos, is worth a visit. Built in 1861, it has a magnificent bell tower that soars above the surrounding houses.In earlier times, the capital was at Khorio, which was placed well inland in an effort to escape the frequent pirate raids that were once the scourge of the Aegean.At its peak it boasted 4,000 inhabitants, but now is virtually deserted. Its stone houses, built in tiers like an amphitheater, are mute reminders of its past prosperity. Above Khorio, the ruined medieval castle occupies the site of the ancient acropolis. Within its walls is a church dedicated to St Nicholas (Áyios Nikólaos) with frescoes.Pontamo is the only beach in Khalki accessible on foot from Nimborio (10mins.) but ferries are on hand to take visitors to other wonderful beaches at Trachia, Ftenagia, Sarri, Chania and Dyo Yiali.You can get to Khalki by ferry from Piraeus.