Euboea Attractions Évvia (Évia)
Area of island: 3,654 sq. km/1,411 sq. miChief town: KhalkísEuboea, the second largest Greek island (170km/106mi long, 5.5km/3.5mi across), lies off the northeast coast of Boetia and Attica, from which it is separated by two enclosed arms of the sea, the Northern and Southern Euboean Gulfs.
The two gulfs meet in the narrow strait of Évripos (only 35m/38yd wide and 8.5m/28ft deep), roughly at the mid-point of the island. The principal ports lie on the gentler coast facing the mainland; the rocky northeast coast for the most part falls steeply down to the sea. There are four main ranges of hills, some of them heavily wooded: in the northwest the Teléthri range (Xerón, 991m/3,251ft), southeast of this the Kandílio range (highest point 1,225m/4,019ft); to the east the Dírfys range (Delfí, 1,743m/5,719ft); and at the southeastern tip of the island the Ókhi range (1,398m/4,587ft). Below the hills, particularly on the west coast, are small, fertile alluvial plains. Euboea has minerals (magnesite, lignite) which supply metal-processing industries, particularly around Khalkís. Euboea's principal attraction for visitors lies in its scenic beauty.The earliest inhabitants of Euboea were Ellopians, incomers from Thessaly, in the northwest of the island; Abantes, a Thracian people, in central Euboea; and Dryopians in the southeast. Ionians from Attica mingled with the Abantes and thereafter controlled the whole island, bringing it a period of great prosperity between the eighth and sixth centuries B.C. Their two principal cities, Chalkis and Eretria, established numerous colonies in southern Italy, Sicily and the Thracian Chersonese (Chalcidice).In 506 B.C. Chalkis was conquered by Athens, for which possession of the fertile island soon became a matter of vital importance. Towards the end of the Peloponnesian War, in 411 B.C., Euboea broke away from Athens, but in subsequent wars was usually on the Athenian side.After the Latin conquest of Constantinople in A.D. 1204 Euboea was held by three Veronese barons, except the ports, which fell to the Venetians, who after numerous wars with the Frankish princes gained control of the whole island, calling it Negroponte. It became the second most important Venetian stronghold (after Crete) in the eastern Mediterranean, but in 1470 fell into the hands of the Turks. It was finally united with Greece under the Second London Protocol of 1830.Ferry services between Glyfa and Ayiókampos, Arkítsa and Loutrá Aidipsoú, Skála Oropoú and Erétria, Ayía Marína and Néa Styra; also between Rafína and Néa Styra and between Marmári and Kárystos.There is an attractive boat excursion along the Northern Euboean Gulf from Khalkís to Péfki.Regular services from Vólos via Kyàmi to the Northern Sporades, and to Kavála and Alexandroúpolis.Road connection with the mainland by traversing bridge (toll) at Khalkís; permanent bridge under construction.Bus services: Athens-Khalkís (1.5 hrs; several hourly), continuing to Kymi (altogether 3.75 hrs; several daily); to Skála Oropoú (hourly), then ferry to Erétria; Athens-Rafína (several hourly), then ferry to Néa Styra, Marmári and Kárystos; Athens-Loutrá Aidipsoú (3.5 hrs; several daily).By rail: Athens-Khalkís (1.75 hrs; several daily).In June 2007 some areas of Euboea were severely affected by forest fires.
Steni Dirfios, Greece
Located in land on the island of Euboea is the town of Stení Dírfios. The location is relatively forested with streams and hills. From here it is possible to do alpine hikes.
Kymi (pop. 3,000), is a prosperous little town in a fertile hilly area and the only port on the inhospitable northeast coast of Euboea. The ancient city was probably on Cape Kymi, to the north, or somewhere near the monastery of the Áyios Sotír (northwest of which is a Byzantine castle). Northwest of Kymi are deposits of lignite (containing fossils of the Tertiary era).
Kymi Folklore Museum
The Educational and Cultural Association of Kymi recently founded the town's Folkloric Museum. the museum is housed in a typical neo-classic building.The exhibits cover the period from A.D. 1800 to the period between the First and Second World Wars.
Alivéri, a prosperous little industrial town (mining; thermal power station), probably occupies the site of ancient Tamynai. 1km/.75mi from the town is Skála Alivériou (probably the ancient port of Porthmos).
Ayia Ana, Greece
Ayía Ána or Ayána, is a beautiful little town in Euboea that has successfully maintained some of the traditional style of the area. Nearby is the popular Angali beach.
Kaména Voúrla is a small spa (recommended for rheumatism, arthritis and neuritis; sandy beach) on a wooded promontory opposite the island of Euboea.Kaména Voúrla is on the expressway from Athens to Salonica.
At Kalápodi, near Kaména Voúrla, there is a site first reported by Wheler, an English traveler, in the 17th century but only recently excavated. The excavations brought to light the foundations of a Doric temple of Artemis measuring 19m/63ft by 46m/151ft (probably fifth century B.C.), together with an altar which was found intact, complete with votive offerings. This is believed to be the sanctuary of Artemis Elaphebolia of Hyampolis.
Seven km/4.5mi east of Kaména Voúrla on the road to Athens lies Áyios Konstantínos, a pretty little fishing village. 18km/11mi beyond Áyios Konstantínos is Arkítsa, from which there is a ferry to Loutrá Aidipsoú on Euboea.
The summit of Mt Delfí (1,743m/5,719ft) affords fine views. Mt Delfí is the highest peak in the Dírfys range. It is a four-hour climb from Sténi Dírfyos (with guide).
Avlonári has the 12th century church of Áyios Dimítrios (ancient column drums built into the walls).
Karystos is a seaside town on the island of Euboea. The town has a number of ancient sites including a Venetian castle and fortress.
Housed in the west wing of the Giokaleion Cultural Foundation, the Archaeological Museum of Karystos includes finds from the local area and items from the Dragon Houses.
Kárystos Folk Museum
The folk museum is set up as a typical Kárystian house and contains examples of rural life such as copper pots and pans, oil amphorae and ornate 19th century furniture and embroidery.
Opening hours: Apr 1 to Oct 31: Closed: Sun, Mon, Wed, Fri, Sat
Nov 1 to Mar 31: Closed: Sun, Mon, Tue, Thu, Fri, Sat
Nov 1 to Mar 31: Closed: Sun, Mon, Tue, Thu, Fri, Sat
Always closed on: New Year's Day (Jan 1), Greek National Day (Mar 25), May Day / Labor Day (May 1), Day after Christmas, St Stephen's Day, Boxing Day (Dec 26), Christmas - Christian (Dec 25), Easter - Christian, Good Friday - Christian
Entrance fee: Adult Free
Nine km/6mi east of Kárystos and 1km/.75mi from the village of Platanistós (forests of oaks and planes) is the so-called Hellenikon, a terrace supported by massive retaining walls.
Geraistos - Temple of Poseidon
Beyond the Hellenikon (2 hours' walk), at the sea, is the ancient port of Geraistos, which had a famous temple of Poseidon.
Konístres - Episkopí
From Konístres it is a half hour's walk to the ruined castle of Episkopí (remains of ancient and medieval walls).
At Lefkanto, a temple of the 10th/ninth century, measuring 10m/33ft by 40m/130ft, was discovered in 1981; the remains were damaged during excavation work.
Mantoudi (Mandoudi), Greece
Mantoúdi is a small industrial town (magnesite workings). North of the town, at the mouth of the river Kyreús, are the remains of ancient Kerinthos.
Mt Kandílion (Mt Pisariá - Euboea)
There are magnificent views from the top of Mt Kandílion (1,209m/3,967ft) and Mt Pisariá (1,352m/4,436ft).
Prokopion (Prokopi), Greece
Prokópion is a prosperous village and pilgrimage center, near which is the former Turkish country estate of Akhmet-Aga, amid luxuriant vegetation.
Ayia Thekla, Greece
The village of Ayía Thékla has a church containing 15th century frescoes.