Neuruppin Tourist Attractions
Land; BrandenburgSituation and characteristicsNeuruppin, birthplace of the novelist Theodor Fontane and the architect Karl Friedrich Schinkel, lies on the Ruppiner See, 90km/55mi northwest of Berlin.
The oldest building in Neuruppin is a former monastic church, all that survives of a Dominican monastery founded in 1246 (restored by Schinkel in 1836-41 and again in the 1970s; towers 1906-07). The church has fine late medieval furnishings.
In a neo-classical burgher's house (1790) at August-Bebel-Strasse 14-15 in Neuruppin is the Heimatmuseum, with rooms commemorating Theodor Fontane and K. F. Schinkel. It also possesses the largest collection in existence of the illustrated broadsheets produced in Neuruppin between 1825 and 1900.
St Lazarus Chapel
In Siechenstrasse in Neuruppin is the Late Gothic hospital chapel of St Lazarus (1491). In the Spitalhof is the "Uphus," the oldest half-timbered building in Neuruppin.
In the Tempelgarten (Temple Garden) in Neuruppin, laid out by A. Gentz in the 19th C., is a circular temple built by G. W. von Knobelsdorff in 1735 for Crown Prince Frederick of Prussia. Fine Baroque sculpture; rare species of trees.
St Mary's Church
The parish church of St Mary in Neuruppin is an aisleless neo-classical church (by Berson and Engel, 1801-04) with a porch, a dome and a plain interior.
St George's Chapel
The hospital chapel of St George in Neuruppin (brick-built Gothic, aisleless) has a Baroque stucco ceiling and a fine Late Gothic winged altar.
In the town center of Neuruppin, which is uniformly neo-classical in style, are numbers of handsome 18th C. burghers' houses. On a house at Fischbänkenstrasse 8 is a plaque commemorating Karl Friedrich Schinkel.