Neubrandenburg Tourist Attractions
Neubrandenburg, the "town of the four gates", lies in Mecklenburg, on the north side of the Tollensesee.
Neubrandenburg's old town (pedestrian zone) is surrounded by an almost completely preserved circuit of fortifications (probably late 13th c.), consisting of a ring wall 2,300m/2,515yds long and 7.50m/25ft high, three moats and numerous towers, wiekhäuser (houses built into the walls) and gates.
Neubrandenburg's town gates (restoration completed 1984) are particularly impressive: the Neues Tor (second half of 15th c.), the Friedländer Tor (14th-15th c.; now an art center), the Stargarder Tor (14th-15th c.) and the Treptower Tor (c. 1400; now a museum of prehistory and the early historical period).
St Mary's Church
St Mary's Church (Marienkirche; brick-built Gothic), on Ernst-Thälmann-Strasse in Neubrandenburg, dates from the 13th-14th C. Burned down in 1945, it has been rebuilt as a concert hall and art gallery.
St John's Church
The monastic church of St John (13th and 14th C.), located on Ernst-Thälmann-Strasse in Neubrandenburg, has a fine pulpit of 1588 and an 18th C. reredos (ornamental screen behind the altar).
Of the old Franciscan friary (1260) in the north part of the old town of Neubrandenburg there survives only the north wing (rebuilt in the Late Gothic period), which is now occupied by the registry office, with the cloister (c. 1300; interior altered in 16th c.; restored).
St George's Chapel
In Rostocker Strasse in Neubrandenburg is the little hospital chapel of St George (brick-built; first half of 15th C.), with a wooden Baroque roof tower.
Fritz Reuter House
At Ernst-Thälmann-Strasse 35 in Neubrandenburg can be seen a house once occupied by Fritz Reuter, the leading Low German dialect writer, who lived in Neubrandenburg from 1856 to 1863. It is now a memorial museum.
At Friedrich-Engels-Ring 7 in Neubrandenburg is an exhibition on the history of the town. The art gallery in the Pferdemarkt displays contemporary art.