Hoxter Tourist Attractions
Situation and characteristicsHöxter lies on the left bank of the Weser in an attractive setting of wooded hills, those on the right bank forming part of the Solling range. Nearby is Corvey Abbey, once a leading center of western culture.
In Höxter's old town are numerous Renaissance half-timbered buildings dating from the 16th C. Among the finest are the Dechanei (Deanery) of 1561 in Markstrasse, once the town house of the noble Amelunxen family, with an oriel window and fine rosette-patterned half-timbering. There is also Haus Hütte (1565), at Nikolaistrasse 10. In Westerbachstrasse, a relatively wide street along which the old trade route known as the Hellweg entered the town, is the Tillyhaus of 1598 (No. 33), where the imperial general Count Tilly is said to have stayed several times during the Thirty Years War, Haus Hottensen (1537) at No. 34, and a charming group of houses (restored) at Nos. 2-10. Opposite the west front of St Kilian's Church is the Küsterhaus (Verger's House), a fine half-timbered building of 1595.
The Town Hall in Höxter, with a richly carved oriel and an octagonal staircase tower, dates from 1610-13. In the entrance hall is a Late Romanesque stone relief (c. 1260) depicting the master of the municipal weigh-house. The tower houses a carillon of 35 bronze bells (daily at 8.55 and 11:55am and 2.55, 5.55 and 8:55pm).
St Kilian's Church
Northeast of the Town Hall in Höxter stands the Romanesque Kilianikirche (12th and 13th C.; Protestant), with two prominent west towers of unequal height. Notable features of the interior are a Crucifixion group of 1520 on the high altar, the pulpit (1597) and the font (1631). To the north is the Early Gothic Marienkirche (St Mary's Church; 13th C.).
2km/1.25mi northwest of Höxter is Corvey Abbey, in its day the most distinguished Benedictine house in northern Germany. Founded in 822 by Ludwig the Pious, it was secularized in 1803; it now belongs to the Duke of Ratibor.Of the old abbey church there survives the magnificent west work (873-85), the oldest building of the early medieval period in Westphalia. In the interior can be seen the two-story Imperial Chapel, with remains of wall paintings (ninth C.).The present abbey church has a magnificent Baroque interior. On the south side is the tomb of A. H. Hoffmann von Fallersleben, author of the German national anthem, "Deutschland über Alles", who was librarian in Schloss Corvey.SchlossOf the Baroque period, too, are the plain undecorated buildings of the former abbey, now the Schloss. Its most notable features are the Abbot's Gallery, the Imperial Hall, the Library and the Museum (history of the abbey; Hoffmann von Fallersleben; local history and folk traditions).
17km/10.5mi northwest of Höxter is the Köterberg (497 m/1,631ft), with a television tower and the Köterberghaus. There are fine panoramic views of the Solling and Vogler hills, the Lippe Uplands and the Eggegebirge.
10km/6mi northeast of Höxter, on the right bank of the Weser, lies Holzminden, with handsome 17th C. half-timbered houses.37km/23mi farther down the Weser valley is Baron Münchhausen's town of Bodenwerder.
Neuhaus im Solling
16km/10mi east of Höxter is the altitude resort and winter sports center of Neuhaus im Solling, with a former hunting lodge of the Kings of Hanover (1768-91).
6km/4mi south of Höxter, beyond the Weser, stands Schloss Fürstenberg (concerts), now part of the Fürstenberg porcelain manufactory (established 1747). Adjoining is the present manufactory, with a museum.
More on PlanetWare