Erlangen Tourist Attractions
Situation and characteristicsErlangen lies a few kilometers north of Nürnberg at the junction of the Schwabach with the Regnitz. Long famous as a university town, it has preserved its Baroque aspect.
Erlangen's Schloss (1700-04) has been occupied since 1825 by the Frederick Alexander University, which was originally founded in Bayreuth and was transferred to Erlangen in 1743. It was amalgamated in 1961 with the Nürnberg College of Economic and Social Sciences. To the rear of the building extends the Schlossgarten, partly in French and partly in English style, with the curious Huguenot Fountain and the beautiful Orangery (both 1706). On the north side of the gardens are the Botanic Garden and the Margravial Theater (1715; restored 1959). On the north side is the University Library, which possesses valuable manuscripts and works of graphic art (including self-portraits of Dürer and Grünewald).
In Erlangen's old town are the three principal Protestant churches - the Hugenottenkirche (Huguenot Church; 1686-93), the Neustädterkirche (New Town Church; 1723-37) and the Dreifaltigkeitskirche or Altstädterkirche (Trinity Church, Old Town Church; 1709-21). The Old Town Hall (Altes Rathaus; 1731-36), adjoining Trinity Church, now houses the Municipal Museum (history of the town since the Middle Ages).
In Erlangen's southeastern district of Tennenlohe is the Forest Museum, opened in 1975 (forestry equipment; exhibitions on ecological themes). Attached to the museum is an exhibition area.
In the Marktplatz (Schlossplatz) in Erlangen are two handsome Baroque buildings: the Stutternheim Palace (1728-30), now housing the Municipal Museum and Art Gallery, and the Schloss, the old Margravial Palace.
More on PlanetWare