Aschaffenburg Tourist Attractions
Aschaffenburg View slideshowAschaffenburg lies in Lower Franconia on the hilly right bank of the Main, on the edge of the Spessart. The old town is dominated by the massive bulk of the Renaissance palace once occupied by the Electors of Mainz.
State Art Gallery
The Palace Gardens of Johannisburg in Aschaffenburg contain the Pompejanum, a reproduction (1842-49) of the Villa of Castor and Pollux in Pompeii. From the gardens can be seen a fine view of the Main.
Address: Schloss- u. Gartenverwaltung, Schlossplatz 4, D-63739 Aschaffenburg, Germany
The Stiftskirche in Aschaffenburg is the collegiate church of SS Peter and Alexander (12th and 13th centuries). The church contains a number of important works of art, including a "Lamentation" by Matthias Grünewald. The church has a Late Romanesque cloister. In the former chapterhouse is the Stiftsmuseum (church art, collection of faience).
The Schönborner Hof now houses the Natural History Museum and an information center on the Czech town of Kraslice, with which Aschaffenburg is twinned.
The Sandkirche in Aschaffenburg is a Rococo church built in 1756 (sumptuous interior; ceiling painting, restored 1986).
Schönbusch, 3.5km/2mi southwest of Aschaffenburg, is a park landscaped in the English style, with a little neo-classical palace, a lake and various pavilions and restaurants.Schönbusch is a popular weekend destination to stroll the gardens, visit the playground or boat on the lake.
The moated castle of Mespelbrunn, 20km/12.5mi southeast of Achaffenburg, is picturesquely situated in a side valley of the Elsava and is open to the public. The ancestral home of the Echter family, it passed in 1665 to the Counts of Ingelheim-Echter.
The charming old-world Markt in Miltenberg, with the Market Fountain of 1583, is lined with half-timbered houses. On the north side of the square stands the parish church (14th century; towers 1830). The former Amtskellerei (Markt 171), a fine 16th C. half-timbered building, houses the Municipal Museum.The Schnatterloch, a gate-tower, gives access to the Mildenburg.
East of the Markt in Miltenberg, in the main street (Hauptstrasse), is the half-timbered Haus zum Riesen (1590), an old inn which is still a hotel. Past guests have included King Gustavus Adolphus of Sweden, Wallenstein and Prince Eugene of Savoy.Farther along the street, in Engelsplatz, is the Baroque Franciscan Church (1667-87).
At the east end of the Hauptstrasse in Miltenberg rises the Würzburger Tor (1405), with a six-story tower. On the west side of the town, at the station, is the Mainzer Tor. Close by is St Lawrence's Chapel (15th-16th centuries).
Above Miltenberg, set amid trees, is the Mildenburg (13th-16th C.), with a 27m/89ft high keep (panoramic views).
8km/5mi south of Miltenberg lies the little town of Amorbach, which attracts many visitors.On the north side of the town is the twin-towered parish church (R.C.), a sandstone building erected in 1752-54 with a beautiful Roccoco interior (ceiling paintings by Johann Zick, 1753). Opposite, to the west, is the Schloss of the Princes of Leiningen (18th-19th C.).Also in the town is a beautiful abbey where organ recitals are held in the summer.
To the south of the Markt in Amorbach is the fine Baroque church (with two towers) of the old Benedictine abbey which stood here. Originally Romanesque, it was remodeled in Baroque style in 1742-47 by the Mainz court architect Maximilian von Welsch. The light interior, sumptuously decorated, is one of the finest Roccoco creations in Germany. There is a famous Baroque organ (recitals in summer).
You may also be interested in:
More on PlanetWare