Annecy Tourist Attractions
The attractive little town of Annecy (alt. 448m/1470ft; pop. 52,100), beautifully situated on its lake, has a considerable amount of industry, including the bell-foundry which made the famous "Savoyarde" bell for the Sacré-Coeur in Paris.
The old town, traversed by innumerable little water channels, lies round the river Thiou (here canalized), which flows out of the lake. It has a number of churches, including the 15th C. church of St-Maurice and the Cathedral of St- Pierre (16th C.), to the west of which is the Bishop's Palace (1784).
Other fine buildings are the modern Palais de Justice (Law Courts, 1978) and the Conservatoire d'Art et d'Histoire, with the Payot collection. Rue Ste-Claire is an attractive arcaded street with houses of the 16th-18th centuries.
Along the beautiful shores of the lake runs the Avenue d'Albigny, shaded by plane-trees, which offers fine views over the lake.